First Fusion Claim for Jack and Scott's Fusor

Current images of fusor efforts, components, etc. Try to continuously update from your name, a current photo using edit function. Title post with your name once only. Change image and text as needed. See first posting for details.
Jack Rosky

First Fusion Claim for Jack and Scott's Fusor

Post by Jack Rosky »

Written Overview:
Neutron Detection- For our neutron detection we currently use a LND-2520 Helium 3 Proportional Counter with a NVTH value of 21 cps/nv. This probe is driven by a Johnson model 10 rate meter. This rate meter is very similar to a ludlum model 3 as it has an adjustable voltage within the range of 500-1500 volts. Here is the data sheet for this specific detector:
http://www.lndinc.com/products/539/

Vacuum System- For our vacuum system we have a 1 CFM mechanical pump backing a Varian HS2, which pumps at 285 L/s. Directly after our mechanical pump we have a bellows valve for the ability to throttle our mechanical pump down. Another bellows valve can be seen directly after the Varian HS2 for the ability to isolate the main reaction chamber (KF50 5-way cross) entirely. To measure our pressure inside the chamber we have a Thermocouple gauge and controller. We are having troubles with these as it “bottoms out” at ~25 mTorr. Scott and I are not inclined to believe this as we would be able to see a plasma at 25 mTorr and we do not. We are inclined to believe that the operational pressure of “30-40 mTorr” (using numbers off of the controller) is actually somewhere between 10-20 mTorr based of off the plasma star we are seeing and the evidence of neutrons.

Gas system- The gas system is composed of a 10 liter lecture bottle of 99.8% deuterium gas purchased from Sigma Aldrich. Following the lecture bottle is a gas regulator with a variable pressure between 0 and 30 psi. Next, we have a ¼” swagelok shut off valve followed by an ss-ss4 fine metering valve.

High voltage: The two main power supplies we are using for this fusor are a Glassman 30kV 32mA and a Glassman 40kV 7.5mA. The 40kV model required us to build our own controller to provide a 0-10 voltage reference to the supply. Our controller is currently allowing us to fully vary the voltage from 0-40kV, however the panels are not reading accurately. For this reason, the primary power supply we are using for our data collection in this post is the 30kV 32mA supply. In line with the high voltage we have three resistors that are wired in series in order to ballast the power supply. These three resistors add up to a value of 95kOhm at 200 watts.

X ray Detection: In order to detect x rays being emitted from the viewport and to ensure that scattering is minimal as well as no leakage from the stainless steel chamber we have a traditional geiger counter (CRM 100-we understand that this is not traditionally suitable for detection) and a ludlum model 3 with a pancake probe.

In the following video we provide a 4 minute overview of the system:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDcP2-fkZ4w

Data collected from run:

Date of run: August 31, 2015
Time: 11:36 AM
Operators: Jack Rosky and Scott Moroch
Average voltage: 25-28kV
Average current: 8-10mA
Pressure: 35 milliTorr (see above description for further details on this specific value)
Neutron counts (cpm) with 3He probe: 150 cpm
Moderator: Low Density of Polyethylene
Distance from center of chamber: 8” (~20cm)
Average Background Count on Detector: Effectively 0 cpm (1- 2 counts every 5 minutes or so)
Cathode material: Hafnium
Cathode shape: Spherical (2 loop)

In the following two videos we demonstrate the neutron counts observed as well as the effect of pulling the tube from the moderator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtrpxRjAcmA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6wjKpiDThE

In the following video we show the plasma and x rays from our camera: Note: The starmode beams and red hue are not as prominent in the video as they are in person. The camera is an old iPhone 4 front facing camera- hence the poor quality.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRTbC3aDOMo

After nearly two years of work on this fusor, it is at this time that we would like to request admittance into the neutron club. If the above data, videos and descriptions do not meet the requirements of the neutron club, we would be more than happy to collect further data to support our claims in the near future.
Sincerely,

Jack Rosky and Scott Moroch
P.S. We would like to thank everyone here on the fusor.net community as well as those on eBay who kindly donated some of the parts. We would never have been able to accomplish this without the help from all of you. Thank you!
Attachments
Entire Fusor setup
Entire Fusor setup
Us with the fusor. Jack on left. Scott on right
Us with the fusor. Jack on left. Scott on right
If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants.
-Issac Newton
Richard Hull

Re: First Fusion Claim for Jack and Scott's Fusor

Post by Richard Hull »

Great report and based on what I see in the videos, you have demonstrated fusion is taking place.

I have logged you into the neutron club.

Nice team effort.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
RobertTubbs

Post by RobertTubbs »

Congratulations to the both of you, a model effort!

Like Richard said, excellent report - I wish they were all like this.

I look forward to seeing one or both of you at HEAS this year.

-RT
Andrew Robinson

Post by Andrew Robinson »

Congrats guys! See you again (hopefully both this time) at HEAS next month.
I can wire anything directly into anything! I'm the professor!
Jim Kovalchick

Post by Jim Kovalchick »

Great work Jack and Scott and congrats on your club entry. You guys did it the right way, and as a result you got maximum learning.
Ryan Catalano

Post by Ryan Catalano »

Congrats on first fusion!
Scott Moroch

Post by Scott Moroch »

Thank you all very much for your messages and kind words. We hope to continue to run our fusor and collect data over the next several months. We are also planning to conduct our experiment which will attempt to optimize the amount of beam on target fusion occurring on the chamber wall, by testing different metals with different absorption rates of deuterium.

Jack and I will both be at HEAS this year. I am excited to meet many of you, as I unfortunately was unable to make it last year.

Thanks again for everyones support.

Scott Moroch
"In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity"
-Albert Einstein

Return to “Images du Jour”