HEAS 2015 - photos and replies

Current images of fusor efforts, components, etc. Try to continuously update from your name, a current photo using edit function. Title post with your name once only. Change image and text as needed. See first posting for details.
Richard Hull

HEAS 2015 - photos and replies

Post by Richard Hull »

Here are my photos of this year's event. Please, Please.....Anyone having additional photos... please log them in under this one thread as a reply. (keep them all under one title) Let us see your Photos here! Anyone have images of the demos of Raney, Feldman of me at fusor IV?? Post 'em here....

We had four days of rain with the worst one on Thursday and very early Friday morning before the event. Friday saw very little rain after 10AM. Saturday, the day of the event, very little rain fell until after dark. Still it was totally overcast with no sun at any time. We had a reporter and photographer from the Washington Post attend to cover the event for a future feature. We had 53 signed up for the event and a total attendance of 43 souls who showed up. I feel this was a fabulous turnout in spite of the dire forecast that never materialized.

Lots of demos and sales were the highlight of the event with Rich Feldman demoing a fabulous rotary converter/rectifier, Tim Raney demoing as many as 8 different physics items and Richard Hull running fusor IV up to 1.2 million Neutrons per sec.
(2.4 million fusions per sec.). Lots of soda and munchies were consumed over the 2 day event (Friday afternoon-evening and Saturday).

Paul Schatzkin, (th' perfesser), ramroded a 1.5 hour meeting of the fusor.net attendees. The younger members gave a lot of great input during the meeting and numerous suggestions were tendered by all to improve and streamline possible future changes to the site.

Evening talks on Saturday following dinner we given by Robert Tubbs on his beam-on-target accelerator, (neutron generator/ fusion machine) and Kevin Dunn on his "Caveman Chemistry" book, chapter one, 'Fire From Friction'. After Kevin's talk and demo, numerous folks were invited to work the bow and spindle to create fire. Almost all succeeded.

The last hardy souls left as the discussions died out, Sunday morning around 2:15 AM.

Richard Hull
Attachments
Kit Hull signs folks in and distributes name tags
Kit Hull signs folks in and distributes name tags
Part of the crowd assembles outside in the lull of rain
Part of the crowd assembles outside in the lull of rain
Larry Adams sells out of the back of his van
Larry Adams sells out of the back of his van
Andrew Robinson's sales table
Andrew Robinson's sales table
Tim Raney's physics demo display
Tim Raney's physics demo display
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Andrew Robinson

Re: HEAS 2015

Post by Andrew Robinson »

No hurricane can stop us! Great 2015 event! See everyone next year!

Sneaking in an edit here......Andrew had on open toed sandles, no socks and is underwater. This is dedication coupled with just a touch of insanity. He had the sniffles by early Sunday 1 AM and used up half a roll of paper towels, filling one of my trash cans with an unknown illness in numerous wadded up tissues. Hope you recover soon Andrew. Richard Hull
Attachments
Andrew braving the hurricane, floodwaters, and all the mud... in sandals... at the salvage yard on Friday morning.
Andrew braving the hurricane, floodwaters, and all the mud... in sandals... at the salvage yard on Friday morning.
Bill trying to keep his phone dry during the worst of the storm Friday morning.
Bill trying to keep his phone dry during the worst of the storm Friday morning.
Andrew standing on top of pile in sandals... in salvage yard pre-HEAS.
Andrew standing on top of pile in sandals... in salvage yard pre-HEAS.
What looks like gigantic switching gear.
What looks like gigantic switching gear.
Standoffs in the salvage yard.
Standoffs in the salvage yard.
Insulator graveyard on south side of Richmond pre-HEAS.
Insulator graveyard on south side of Richmond pre-HEAS.
Excellent demo! You are able to feel the load increase on crank based on the type and quantity of bulbs being used.
Excellent demo! You are able to feel the load increase on crank based on the type and quantity of bulbs being used.
Tim showing off physics demos.
Tim showing off physics demos.
More FIRE!
More FIRE!
Random shot of crowd.
Random shot of crowd.
Testing out Kevin Dunn's bow drill.
Testing out Kevin Dunn's bow drill.
Random shot of crowd inside Richards lab.
Random shot of crowd inside Richards lab.
Kevin Dunn checking a newly created ember by his friction bow drill.
Kevin Dunn checking a newly created ember by his friction bow drill.
Always good to keep these together...
Always good to keep these together...
Frank about to demonstrate candle flame shadows using a point light source, lit candle stick, and a backdrop (preferably retro-reflective).
Frank about to demonstrate candle flame shadows using a point light source, lit candle stick, and a backdrop (preferably retro-reflective).
Richard demonstrating shock diamonds using a point light source, air hose, and backdrop.
Richard demonstrating shock diamonds using a point light source, air hose, and backdrop.
Andrew feels the power!
Andrew feels the power!
Bill and Alex just relaxing after the first of two heavy car loads.
Bill and Alex just relaxing after the first of two heavy car loads.
Bill and Alex in the yard checking out the lone pig.
Bill and Alex in the yard checking out the lone pig.
Bill and his new set of friends.
Bill and his new set of friends.
Last edited by Andrew Robinson on Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
I can wire anything directly into anything! I'm the professor!
Andrew Robinson

Re: HEAS 2015 - photos and replies

Last few pics 21 - 28
Attachments
Overview of Alex's shop
Overview of Alex's shop
Overview of Alex's shop
Overview of Alex's shop
Primary control rack with lots of buttons that even Alex doesn't know what they do haha.
Primary control rack with lots of buttons that even Alex doesn't know what they do haha.
Primary transformers for Alex's magnifier. Looks like four potential transformers in parallel. All fed from 100A service. Overkill? NEVER!
Primary transformers for Alex's magnifier. Looks like four potential transformers in parallel. All fed from 100A service. Overkill? NEVER!
Suspended topload for Alex's magnifier.
Suspended topload for Alex's magnifier.
One of many large transformers at Alex's shop.
One of many large transformers at Alex's shop.
Alex in his element.
Alex in his element.
At the risk of destroying any remaining respect or credibility you all have for me, here's a fun PG13 rated photo.
At the risk of destroying any remaining respect or credibility you all have for me, here's a fun PG13 rated photo.
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Fabulous stuff Andrew!!! Come on guys. More...More

Paul Schatzkin took this picture and sent it to me. I am sure he will post more...

Richard Hull
Attachments
A bit Franensteinish due to special lighting technique.....I loved this photo...Thank you Paul!
A bit Franensteinish due to special lighting technique.....I loved this photo...Thank you Paul!
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Andrew Robinson

Wow what a fantastic picture!
David Rosignoli

Post by David Rosignoli »

Thanks Richard for hosting another great HEAS event!
I will post a few photos when I can get to a PC to shrink the file size.

David Rosignoli
Paul_Schatzkin
Site Admin

Post by Paul_Schatzkin »

My head is still spinning. I know I over-use this metaphor, but for a mostly non-scientific person like myself, this really is like getting dropped into an episode of "The Big Bang Theory." And then dropping a tab of LSD. And then having the episode run like 12 hours...

I think Noah Hoppis' friend Linda summed it up best when she said "I know what all the individual words means, but once he starts stringing them together..."

I didn't take a LOT of pictures, but I did take some, here's the best of what I came back with (OK, let's see how this picture thing works...):
Attachments
Tim Rainey's demonstration of "Electricity — Our Modern Miracle."  The banner reminded me: you know, humans have been wandering around on the planet for (roughly) 50,000 years.  We've only had electricity for the last 200 or so of those years.  We're just getting started...
Tim Rainey's demonstration of "Electricity — Our Modern Miracle." The banner reminded me: you know, humans have been wandering around on the planet for (roughly) 50,000 years. We've only had electricity for the last 200 or so of those years. We're just getting started...
Richard gets ready to fire up the Fusor...
Richard gets ready to fire up the Fusor...
Look! I made a STAR!!!
Look! I made a STAR!!!
The not-really-mad-scientist in his lair...
The not-really-mad-scientist in his lair...
My absolute favorite photo of the day: Scott Moroch and Jack Rosky from Wayne, NJ, showing me the 3D-printed model of the Fusor chamber they are planning to fabricate.
My absolute favorite photo of the day: Scott Moroch and Jack Rosky from Wayne, NJ, showing me the 3D-printed model of the Fusor chamber they are planning to fabricate.
Frank Sanns explains concentric circles.  "You see, one fits inside the other..."
Frank Sanns explains concentric circles. "You see, one fits inside the other..."
Tim Koeth with... help me out here, is that a Geiger counter or a neutron detector or none of the above?<br /> Tim has a recently calibrated &quot;Rem Ball&quot;, BF3 neutron detector attached to a Ludlum counter.  He brought it to check calibration against another un-cal'd rem ball that he had.
Tim Koeth with... help me out here, is that a Geiger counter or a neutron detector or none of the above?
Tim has a recently calibrated "Rem Ball", BF3 neutron detector attached to a Ludlum counter. He brought it to check calibration against another un-cal'd rem ball that he had.
My favorite demonstration of the day: Dr. Kevin Dunn takes a chapter from &quot;Caveman Chemistry&quot; and demonstrates how to make fire.  Done in the presence of the Fusor, it's an intriguing juxtaposition of &quot;Fire Version One&quot; with &quot;Fire Version 2.&quot;  Kevin made the point that &quot;civilization&quot; essentially begins with the discovery and control of &quot;Fire v1.0&quot;  What becomes of &quot;civilization&quot; if/when we finally control &quot;Fire v2.0&quot; ?
My favorite demonstration of the day: Dr. Kevin Dunn takes a chapter from "Caveman Chemistry" and demonstrates how to make fire. Done in the presence of the Fusor, it's an intriguing juxtaposition of "Fire Version One" with "Fire Version 2." Kevin made the point that "civilization" essentially begins with the discovery and control of "Fire v1.0" What becomes of "civilization" if/when we finally control "Fire v2.0" ?
Connor Givans tries his hand at making fire while Jack Rosky looks on.  Connor proves it's not as easy as it looks...
Connor Givans tries his hand at making fire while Jack Rosky looks on. Connor proves it's not as easy as it looks...
Robert Tubbs tries his hand at making &quot;fire.&quot;  New rule:  You're not aloud to make &quot;nuclear fire&quot; until you have demonstrated that you are capable of making &quot;carbon fire.&quot;
Robert Tubbs tries his hand at making "fire." New rule: You're not aloud to make "nuclear fire" until you have demonstrated that you are capable of making "carbon fire."
Paul Schatzkin, aka "The Perfesser" – Founder and Host of Fusor.net
Author of The Boy Who Invented Television: 2023 Edition – https://amz.run/6ag1
"Fusion is not 20 years in the future; it is 60 years in the past and we missed it."
Scott Moroch

Post by Scott Moroch »

HEAS was a fantastic event and I am so glad I had the opportunity to attend. I send my most sincere thanks to Richard for hosting this wonderful event. I have attached a variety of images from the pre-HEAS tour that Jack, Connor, Noah and myself had of the facilities at the University of Maryland as well the HEAS event itself.

Thanks again for an unforgettable experience.

Scott Moroch
Attachments
image2 (1).JPG
image1 (3).JPG
image5.JPG
image5 (2).JPG
image4.JPG
image4 (2).JPG
image3.JPG
image2.JPG
image2 (2).JPG
image1 (2).JPG
"In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity"
-Albert Einstein
Roger Harrison

Post by Roger Harrison »

I had a great time at HEAS despite the intense rainstorm I had to drive through to get there! This was my second time attending, but I loved talking with all of you, seeing the demos, and being inspired by Paul Schatzkin to remember "not to let anyone tell us it can't be done"!
Caveman Chemistry
Caveman Chemistry
NIM modules
NIM modules
100,000V power supply
100,000V power supply
Andrew Robinson

Great pictures of all four of you guys! Future nuclear engineers right there :)

Keep at it guys!
Rich Feldman

Post by Rich Feldman »

It was my first time at HEAS. Was great to meet many familiar names in person. And to be part of a crowd where someone could whip a neutron detector tube or two from his pocket and make a sale without anyone raising an eyebrow.

My nearly-synchronous rectifier, or sampler, or frequency mixer, can barely hold a candle to Tim's electromagnetic and electrochemical demos. Was glad to find a whole room full of people that "got it" right away. It's not very fusor-ish except for some neon plasma in a glass bulb.
full_dscn0628.jpg
The contraption was presented online at another forum in 2009 (!) as old work (!!).
http://4hv.org/e107_plugins/forum/forum ... 74971.post
including this link to a video: http://www.flickr.com/photos/r_k_f/3845340047
At HEAS, I forgot to point out that the design is 100% semiconductor-free.
Last edited by Rich Feldman on Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All models are wrong; some models are useful. -- George Box
David Rosignoli

Post by David Rosignoli »

The forecasted deluge was greatly over rated. Here are some pics. Nice to see everyone. See you next year!
Attachments
Professor Dunn making fire!!!
Professor Dunn making fire!!!
Awesome 3d print of fusor
Awesome 3d print of fusor
FUSOR IV!!!
FUSOR IV!!!
Richard  enjoying the photo op
Richard enjoying the photo op
Richard checking fusor iv
Richard checking fusor iv
Gathering at Andrew's trunk for goodies