Setup (with neutrons!)

Current images of fusor efforts, components, etc. Try to continuously update from your name, a current photo using edit function. Title post with your name once only. Change image and text as needed. See first posting for details.
Nick OConnor

Setup (with neutrons!)

Post by Nick OConnor »

Hey guys!

Thought I'd fire up the fusor and share some images of the setup. This is the 3rd major revision of the system with a leak rate of around 0.1 mtorr/minute. The results in the images were from a couple of short runs totaling around 5 minutes with fluctuating (manually controlled) pressure with the following stats:

Power: 51kv, 2-6ma
Pressure: 17-18 mtorr (capactive)
Flow rate: (unsure, however I generally set the gas valve to produce a 1 mtorr/second pressure increase of the chamber when the throttling valve is fully closed)
Max neutron dose rate: 6.9 mR/h (He3 with tungsten shielding)
Neutron dose: 348 uR

After initial runs of the system which completely saturated my GM probe, I added 1mm lead shielding to the chamber and the viewport was swapped for one with leaded glass.

Front:
fusor_front.jpg
Back:
fusor_rear.jpg
Neutron Dose:
neutron_dose.jpg
Max Neutron Dose Rate:
neutron_dose_rate.jpg
Gamma Dose:
gamma_dose_rate.jpg
Fusor In Action:
fusor_in_action.jpg
1st Light (Bell Jar, circa 2010):
rev_1_plasma.jpg
"If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?"
-Albert Einstein
Richard Hull

Re: Setup (with neutrons!)

Post by Richard Hull »

Thanks again for sharing your latest superb results. It is cookin' now!

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Nick OConnor

Re: Setup (with neutrons!)

Post by Nick OConnor »

Thanks Richard, and yes it is! Thought I'd also share a short operation video. I did manage to increase the output by pushing the supply closer to its current trip point (it actually trips in the video). I'll see if I can get the pressure stable enough to hold it there for a prolonged run. The alarm in the background is a 10 mrem/h gamma alarm I had configured on the counter.

Max neutron dose rate:
9_47_mrem_h_n.jpg
Neutron dose for around 20 minutes of runtime:
1_98_mrem_n.jpg
"If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?"
-Albert Einstein

Return to “Images du Jour”