Archived - Tom McCarthy's Fusor Efforts

Current images of fusor efforts, components, etc. Try to continuously update from your name, a current photo using edit function. Title post with your name once only. Change image and text as needed. See first posting for details.
Tom McCarthy

Re: Archived - Tom McCarthy's Fusor Efforts

Post by Tom McCarthy » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:56 pm

Lots more equipment; namely an Edwards RV3 mechanical pump, an Oerlikon-Leybold Turbovac 151 (with controller and cables) and Gamma Spectacular neutron detection set-up. I've also got my vacuum chamber sorted out, a 12" sphere with 10 CF ports. It's being made by [url]hivac.co.uk[/url] and should be here some time in October. Ordering deuterium soon enough and more vacuum fittings en route. Need to get some more gas fittings and vacuum valves, but that's all really.

The Turbovac is newly refurbished, straight out of the box and the RV3 has only seen some moderate use. The previous owner said it should be pulling optimum vacuum after an oil change/clean-out.

Does anyone know anywhere to get a 3" sodium iodide scintillation crystal? There are BGO ones and some other types on sale on Ebay, but I'd prefer NaI.

Tom
Attachments
Be.jpg
Beryllium, 2 grams from Poland.
Withturbo.jpg
Oerlikon Turbovac straight out of the box.
Tungstenwire.JPG
Tungsten wire, .6mm diameter and 20m in length.
RV3back.JPG
24Kg, quite a lump to bring up and down stairs.
RV3.JPG
Edwards RV3 pump, hoses attached came with.
PMTSpecs.JPG
Photomultiplier specs.
PMTFace.JPG
Photomultiplier tube face.
Opticalgreasewriting.JPG
Optical grease, 10ml.
KF16reducer.jpg
KF16/10 centering ring and KF25 reducer.
HDPEinfo.jpg
Info on HDPE moderator.
GSDetection.jpg
Gamma Spectacular set-up. Custom pre-amp on left, 2000v bias on right. He-3 tube can be seen in HDPE moderator.
KF16reducer.jpg
KF adaptors for Pirani Gauge.

Tom McCarthy

Post by Tom McCarthy » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:56 pm

Been quite a while since the last update...There's been a little and a lot of progress at the same time. As stated before I've got 95% of the parts (only need to order deuterium + related piping) and I'm pretty much ready to go. I've been testing my fore pump and am about ready to hook it up to the chamber.

The guy who's giving me the power supply is keeping it until I've moved into a 3rd-level for supervision - This has been a bottleneck in progress for the past few weeks, but it looks like I'll be moving the setup to NUI Galway under their engineering department when all the safety items are cleared. I've also had trouble ordering deuterium, but I've been told it should be relatively easy to procure when I'm in a University.

My chamber's almost fully bolted, got the viewport and a load of blanks on and am going to fully blank out the other ports to test-run the vacuum pumps. Currently waiting on my boxing trainer (Works in a very good metal-work shop) to get back to me with some prototype grids - got 0.6mm tungsten wire as advised in the FAQs, but he's not sure how weldable it's going to be..

Hopefully I'll get moving a bit faster on the project now, looking to complete before June.

Tom
IMG_0347_1024.jpg
Chamber
IMG_0043_1024.jpg
RV3 at the bench.

Richard Hull
Site Admin

Post by Richard Hull » Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:52 pm

Super impressive chamber! Good luck with the future fusion effort.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

Tom McCarthy

Post by Tom McCarthy » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:41 pm

I knew it had been a while since I updated this thread, but didn't realise it was that long.

I have an awful lot more equipment now - deuterium, needle valve, swagelok connections, flow meter, orifice, Hb feedthrough and power supply (no cable), turbopump and roughing pump all ass,bled and pumping to 10^-6 as measured by Penning and Pirani gauges. Neutron detection also here.

Today I received a 6" CF throttle valve, exceptionally well packaged. It's pneumatically actuated, but has a micrometer for throttling. Also have some RG213 pictured that I'm using for a HV cable (many thanks to Rex Allers for his generous help, and also to Jeroen Vriesman and his fellow Dutch experts) and the HV supply I'm using.
IMG_1772.JPG
IMG_1771.JPG
image.jpg

Richard Hull
Site Admin

Post by Richard Hull » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:58 am

When you are finished and working, this will be a really sweet fusion system. Taking it slow and easy will allow for a system that has a far better chance of success out of the gate.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

Tom McCarthy

Post by Tom McCarthy » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:09 pm

Thanks Richard, looking forward to getting it working.