Finally, some more runs of my fusor!

Current images of fusor efforts, components, etc. Try to continuously update from your name, a current photo using edit function. Title post with your name once only. Change image and text as needed. See first posting for details.
Jamie Edwards

Finally, some more runs of my fusor!

Post by Jamie Edwards »

Hello all,

As some of you may know over the past few months I have been trying my hardest to get the required items and people together for recreating my fusion experiment. Luckily I have managed to get everything I needed together and have been able to do 2 days solid testing with the reactor. Unfortunately, it did once again take a TV company's interest in me for me to be able to get my reactor up and running again. I think this is quite disappointing really.

As for all the following data, I am not 100% certain if what I saw when I was testing was fusion, in fact I am quite skeptical myself.

Apart from the neutron detector and HV power supply, all the set up was exactly the same as last time

The images below show the neutron detector, it was a He-3 tube with that large external electronics box and counter unit.

The High voltage power supply was a glassman EQ series supply, capable of 60KV at 15mA

Just like last time, I was required to wear an EPD and film badge. The Neutron EPD (over the two days) received a dose Neutrons that you can see in the document below

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=F ... ile%2cdocx

Please do not hesitate to ask if you require more information

I am sourcing some videos of the reactor in operation and also a time lapse video of me assembling the whole reactor in its new location at a local 6th form college. I will add those videos to this thread when they are available to me.

The link below will take you to a spread sheet that has my recorded data.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=f ... ile%2cxlsx

The following images show my plasma and neutron set up
Attachments
My plasma, this plasma was stable and very easy to sustain
My plasma, this plasma was stable and very easy to sustain
Electronics box (euro crate)
Electronics box (euro crate)
Counter Unit, please note, the number displayed is not my count of neutrons.
Counter Unit, please note, the number displayed is not my count of neutrons.
Detector tube and  HDPE moderator
Detector tube and HDPE moderator
ev (1).jpg (15.61 KiB) Viewed 4497 times
Richard Hull

Re: Finally, some more runs of my fusor!

Post by Richard Hull »

Jamie,

This time the data was much better and I am willing to allow that fusion was done due to a null run on the spread sheet.
I will log your name in the fusioneer neutron club listing.

I would love to know more about the counter, of course.
You seemed to have pulled the 3He tube out of its moderator.
That is the greatest and ultimate test for fusion.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Jim Kovalchick

Post by Jim Kovalchick »

Congrats Jamie. Thanks for sticking with it.
Carl Willis

Post by Carl Willis »

Hi Jamie,

This is a very good experiment, incorporating both a moderator removal check and a D2-vs-air check, as well as multiple detectors (you had the EPD area monitor as a back-up, and it got some dose). Neutrons are detectable on the He-3 with the moderator off, but the count is much higher with it on, as we'd expect (this test is incidentally also something of a check to make sure low-energy x-rays aren't responsible for the counts on the tube). Neutron counts are much higher with D2 than with air, again supporting the hypothesis that the fusor is producing neutrons from DD fusion when D2 gas is flowing. It looks like you configured the power supply for constant current and allowed the voltage to settle at any value, but it found a similar equilibrium voltage for both D2 gas and air. Did you get smooth, continuous operation with both air and D2?

This is a better entry to the Neutron Club than many, and it shows a sustained commitment to this project on your part.

Congratulations!

-Carl
Carl Willis
http://carlwillis.wordpress.com/
TEL: +1-505-412-3277
Jamie Edwards

Post by Jamie Edwards »

Hello,

Thank you all for your positive comments on my fusion attempt.

I am still working on getting some more footage that I will add to this thread when i get it.

Richard, the neutron detector setup was lent to me by the ISIS neutron source at the Rutherford Appleton labs near oxford, I will get hold of the manual and other information they sent up and add it to this thread.

Carl, yes the plasma did self regulate itself via the limiting of current on the power supply. It was very smooth continuous and easy to operate.

Thanks

Jamie

Return to “Images du Jour”