My Fusor, Van De Graaf, and D2 Supply

Current images of fusor efforts, components, etc. Try to continuously update from your name, a current photo using edit function. Title post with your name once only. Change image and text as needed. See first posting for details.
Dennis P Brown

My Fusor, Van De Graaf, and D2 Supply

Post by Dennis P Brown »

Here are my Fusor, its power supply, (also, the Van de Graaff) and deuterium gas supply station. In the last pic partly disassembled accelerator is in the background.

Aside: my fusor (Mark X, lol) is built in old milk cases. I really like these because they are cheap, extremely strong, easy to cut/mod as needed and best of all, non-conductive allowing the fusor to be better isolated. They are a bit silly but I like them much better than I high end (read not very cheap) metal enclosure that I use for the fusor high voltage power supply. I seriously considered using old milk case for the fusor power supply. But since the case was now available, and had some nice features, I went with it. Still, I like these old milk cases and used a broken one for the deuterium gas supply case. Has nice handles for carrying, too!.
Attachments
Fursor
Fursor
Deuterium Gas Supply (Note: background tank is the high pressure D2 lecture bottle; foreground tank is my low pressure fusor tank.)
Deuterium Gas Supply (Note: background tank is the high pressure D2 lecture bottle; foreground tank is my low pressure fusor tank.)
Fursor Power Supply and Van de Graaff
Fursor Power Supply and Van de Graaff
Jason C Wells

Re: My Fusor, Van De Graaf, and D2 Supply

Post by Jason C Wells »

Is that some sort of trap on the rough pump?
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

Yes, a room temperature 'anti-oil' back flow device; it is a molecular 'sieve' like material in the SS case. Pretty std but very important for high vacuum oil based mechanical pumps. Prevents pump oil from easily back streaming into the high vacuum section of the system even if the turbo isn't running (or for a diffusion pump, too.)

Since in a fusor the mechanical pump oil can contaminate the system, a good idea even if one does not do high vacuum.

They need not be expensive - one can make a serviceable unit using fine grade steel wool in a plastic housing (most mechanical pumps don't get under a micron anyway.)
Last edited by Dennis P Brown on Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jason C Wells

Post by Jason C Wells »

I tore my entire setup apart. I started doodling new schematics. One of the things I wanted to add was a simple "tank" trap on my rough pump inlet to prevent contamination in the event of an improper shutdown. Your device sounds even better since it will keep some vapors from working their way back into the test chamber during normal operation.

Return to “Images du Jour”