New Brass Piping, plus updates

Current images of fusor efforts, components, etc. Try to continuously update from your name, a current photo using edit function. Title post with your name once only. Change image and text as needed. See first posting for details.
John Beutz

New Brass Piping, plus updates

Post by John Beutz »

To minimize the possibility of leaks in the tubing between the pump and chamber, I replaced the tubing with brass fittings, inspired by the Oakland University demo fusor viewtopic.php?f=18&t=10731&p=71044&hili ... sor#p71044, detailed in their report: download/file.php?id=10487
brass.jpg
brass2.jpg
brass3.jpg
I integrated the ball valve into the line. (photo 3).

There was a definite improvement in plasma quality. At less than 1/4 maximum variac output and seconds of pumping, I got the same level of plasma as I was getting at max power and ten minutes of pumping before. It looked like this when first turned on:
first run.jpg
Eventually, after a cleaning, tightening of some threads, and at a higher voltage input, I got some very nice pictures.
nice1.jpg
nice2.jpg
Still only marginal improvements. Based on other image of similar demo fusors (such as the images on this post: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=7838), I don't think the vacuum could possibly be better than 1000 mtorr, and is probably much worse. More work is necessary. On future runs, I will probably try not using vacuum grease and/or replacing the teflon tape with Loctite 290.

-John
Attachments
nice3.jpg

Return to “Images du Jour”