John Beutz Fusor... The Story so Far

Current images of fusor efforts, components, etc. Try to continuously update from your name, a current photo using edit function. Title post with your name once only. Change image and text as needed. See first posting for details.
Dennis P Brown

Re: John Beutz Fusor... The Story so Far

Post by Dennis P Brown »

That is an excellent connection arrangement for the fore-pump/DP system. I use a short piece of identical tubing to connect my DP to a KF mount and steel bellows line (already had those components.) If it works well, don't upgrade just to upgrade; spend your time and money on other issues that further your goal of achieving neutrons. After that, upgrades/improvements can be done but when something works well, move on to your goal.

As for their ballast resistor - notice its wattage - 100 (extremely low value for that system); the x-former can provide 10 -15 milliamps @ 100 kV; math don't lie nor does reality (despite what some people's best efforts to deny that of late in the news media ...lol.) That resistor had better be under oil. And best to have a small component of vertical angle mounting so convection is faster/easier.

My fusor can achieve 40 milliamps continuous and 100 milliamps surge at 32 kV; my resistor is a big 1500 watt ebay deal and without being under oil, would have failed in no time (in air tests, it got very hot in under a minute.) Why spend $$$ for a monster, air cooled resistor when the solution is so simple and allows for a far cheaper (and more available) type of resistor to be exploited?
John Futter

Post by John Futter »

Rex
In a perfect world the 14 cm would be more than enough.
However it has terminals at right angles to the body - this causes disruptions in the electric field launching corona which causes ozone which when you get enough will easily jump a distance much further than what is there.
It is also a safety item and should be indestructilbe and if it overheats and goes open cicuit must not arc over the damaged section.
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

It must be remembered that all such wire wound resistors are well insulated. 30ma in a normal 60k ballast resistor like mine will drop a bit over 1900 volts and at 50 ma 3000 volts.
A 1inch long resistor would never arc in air. Most 60k wire wounds are over 5 inches long and will be fine in air. At 1 million n/s I typically draw 12-15ma and drop less than 1,000 volts in the resistor (15 watts). If you need over 100K of ballast there is an issue with your supply. Admittedly the average professional Spellman with full electronic limitiing might need a huge and wastefully large value of ballasting resistor.

Recently at VCU (Virginia Commonwealth University), I had to insert a 500k ballast just to have their lovely $5,000 electronic switching supply light and stay lit in glow mode!!! At 17kv on the meter and 12ma on the current meter the resistor gobbles up 6000 of those 17,000 volts! The fusor was left with only 11,000 volts to try and do fusion. Their supply is capable of 30kv @ 20 ma but it demands this kind of ballast to light off and stay lit. We did not go any higher as their resistor was not of a wattage that could support that voltage and was not wire wound and arced carbon turn to carbon turn. I will have to go back after they purchase a wirewound string. I suggested (10), 50k, 20-30 watt wire wounds. In this manner we might string them to together to determine a minimum working ballast, hopefully, below 500K. The beat there, goes on. There is such a thing as too much money and too little understanding.

My old junk linear variac controlled x-ray system only needs a 63k, 100 watt resistor. There was so much room in the giant, oil-filled, x-ray tank that I ripped out the kenotrons and fil x-former and put in silly-con diodes and the ballast resistor. The resistor did not need to be in oil.......

Any air mounted wire wound of appropriate value will never arc. A good feature would be to blob on some silly-cone HV putty to the resistor lugs after soldering on the HV leads. (field suppression) Air will cool those old ceramic wire wound resistors just fine.

In my vacuum tube days, I have seen these suckers turn black after smoking off the grease and body oils and ultimately shed their ceramic outer coating and show dull orange turns, while under power. You can't do that with anything but wirewounds. This was a good visual indicator that something was wrong somewhere, usually a cherry red plate in a tube indicated a coupling cap was leaky. You replaced the capacitor only. The tube was still good and the resistor was still good.... just sweep out the ceramic flakes and discard them.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
John Beutz

Post by John Beutz »

Tested the XRT with my grandpa and an engineer from Xcel energy who works on the power lines and transfer stations today. One secondary is grounded to my metal fusor frame, and the other is attached to house ground through to variac, We confirmed AC input from the variac, and no shorts on the transformer with an ohmmeter. Attached rectifier on secondary and 6kV probe attached to voltmeter measured nothing with small amount of AC input, not even the negative sign you'd expect from the rectified negative dc output. We may not have the wires all attached in the right place or there might be an interior problem in the transformer. The seller on eBay said it came from a working unit.
IMG_0616.jpg
We also made a wood frame to hold the ballast resistor, but it was not installed during this testing. The wood should absorb the oil and keep the resistor vertical, and keep it separate from the transformer. The engineer from Xcel may have a transformer that I can use, as well as a vacuum pump with a larger inlet so I don't have to deal with the flare adapter that's choking the vacuum. I reattached the full chamber to the vacuum pump with the new rubber hose. There is an audible leak on the ball valve on my jury-rigged gas inlet copper tube, and by my estimation we're not any better than 2 torr. Swagelok and ss tubing is on the way to replace this. A cord on my thermocouple cable snapped as well. Once I've repaired that, I'll send precise pressure data.

I'll upload photos as updates come.
Rex Allers

Post by Rex Allers »

Maybe it's just me, but the transformer testing you have done does not inspire confidence.

First it sounds like you were trying to use the full HV output between the two HV wires. I don't think that is safe or even desirable. If your x-ray transformer is rated at 100 KV, you should be able to use the two secondaries in parallel (but through rectifiers to isolate them from each other) and still get up to a 50 KV max which should be more than enough to run a fusor.

Borrowing from an image you posted in a different thread, and editied a little to remove any complication of a current monitor, this is basically what the configuration in the original x-ray application probably looked like.
Basic x-ray configuration
Basic x-ray configuration
The bottom end of the two HV secondary coils are tied together and tied to ground. So HV1 is 50 KV relative to ground. HV2 is also 50 KV relative to ground but reversed AC phase to HV1. So if the x-ray tube is connected between HV1 and HV2 it sees 100 KV across its terminals, but neither end of the tube is grounded. Both are at 50 KV with respect to ground.

You said this... "One secondary is grounded to my metal fusor frame, and the other is attached to house ground through to variac, ..."

So you were trying to use the two secondaies in series with one of the HV secondary wires grounded and the other HV secondary wire as the full voltage sum of the two secondaries. To do this, the center of the two secondaries would have to be tied together but floated, not tied to ground as shown in the diagram above. I don't know if the coils could stand this high voltage (50 KV if driven to full voltage) that would be at this center connection. The transformer was designed expecting this point to be at ground and could arc over if configured this way.

If the secondaries were wired as shown in the picture above and you tie one HV wire to ground, you have shorted out that coil. That could be one possible explaination of no output.

Not as your first test configuration, but as an eventual goal after you have figured things out, I think you should head toward a configuration like this.
Simple Fusor circuit
Simple Fusor circuit
That is the simplest circuit. It leaves out any load-limiting resistor or any current sensing resistor but shows the simple full-wave rectification to use the two secondaries feeding in a parallel push-pull mode to produce DC through the rectifiers. The diodes shown would probably actually each be several HV diodes in series. They have to be able to withstand the full voltage of one secondary without blowing up. But before trying to get anywhere close to this configuration you need to understand your transformer better.

As covered extensively in the "The Beginnings of a Fusor Electrical System" thread, you should first try to figure transformer configuration using resistance measurements. The primary side of the transformer very well could have more than one coil or may have tapped coils. If we look at the simplest probable configuration as shown here.
Transformer terminals
Transformer terminals
Use resistance measurements to figure things out. Is B already connected to C? Is B and/or C already connected to the core (G)? Is the primary side as simple as one coil (1, 2) or are there multiple coils or possible tapped coils?

Once you think you know what is going on with the coil configurations, don't connect the secondaries to anything external until you really understand what is happening. For initial testing, don't put anymore than a few volts AC on the primary side and carefully measure voltages on the secondary. Someone suggested a good thing to do is get a step down transformer designed to make 6 or 12 VAC output from 120 VAC input. Connect the variac to the primary of this transformer and use the dropped secondary output to drive the XRT primary. This way you can finely control the voltage and it can never get above about 6 or 12 V into the XRT.

If we assume the x-ray transformer is designed to make 50 KV on each of the secondary coils with 120 V on the primary, then 12 V on the primary would still make 5 KV on each of the secondary coils. Much better for testing but still a lot of voltage to be playing with. Best to start with very low voltages on the primary (1 or 2 VAC) for initial measurements. If you keep the voltages low while doing this initial testing, you don't need to have the transformer in oil because hundreds of V, or low KV won't have arc-over issues that the oil is there to prevent.

What you described doing doesn't sound anything like this kind of small steps procedure. It doesn't sound like you have followed or understood all the information in FAQs and in several recent threads.
Rex Allers

Return to “Images du Jour”