New tests with neutron detector - EMI rejection

Current images of fusor efforts, components, etc. Try to continuously update from your name, a current photo using edit function. Title post with your name once only. Change image and text as needed. See first posting for details.
Silviu Tamasdan

New tests with neutron detector - EMI rejection

Post by Silviu Tamasdan »

I refined my detector a bit. It's now enclosed in a Faraday cage to reduce electromagnetic interference (well it's been for a while but didn't have time to test). The cage is a 3/4" copper tube from a home improvement store plumbing section; ID of 3/4 copper is 19.5mm, OD of SNM-11 tube is 18mm. The SNM-11 was sanded carefully over its whole length and wrapped in several layers of aluminum foil, enough to make a tight fit (but not too tight to allow for disassembly). One end of the copper tube has a lid soldered, the other end is a tight-fitting lid with a hole for BNC connector, and is held over the end of the copper tube with a metal hose clamp.

The connections of the tube are: cathode/aluminum foil/copper tube/BNC jacket, and anode/copper fitted connector/soldered to central BNC connector. Everything is nice and tight with no mechanical play at all.

As a source of EMI I used a high voltage arc in air; it's produced between 2 copper electrodes about 1cm apart, fed by a NST nominally 3.2kV/30mA (but it doesn't get anywhere close to that). The NST is specced for 220V primary, so I also use a upconverting transformer 110V-to-220V/500W. Using a kill-a-watt type device the total power used by this chain is 52VA, so allowing for losses in the 2 transformers I will assume that no more than 25W is fed into the arc. That's why I said above "doesn't get anywhere close" - but good enough for this test.

Setup:
- tube + Faraday cage held in a fixed position above bench in a lab clamp, with the other end supported by a metal ruler which is exactly 15cm. (because the lab clamp isn't strong enough). It's connected to the MCA then to acquisition computer.
- arc is set 30cm away from the tube between electrodes as described above, supported by a flower pot for insulation.
- neutron source placed in relevant experiments at predetermined position, 15cm away from the tube. The source I have posted about before, built from a 5mCi 210-Po source + beryllium. Calculated current activity of the source is 3.68mCi.
- moderator built around the detector tube in certain parts of the experiment, consists of a 4x5x20inch block of HDPE and 12 quarts of mineral oil.

Counted neutrons 8 times, 10 minutes each; recorded all data including pulse and baseline waveforms.

Experiment truth table (and quick results for the impatient):

Code: Select all

test        EMI(HV arc)         source        moderator    |  counts in 10 minutes
N1               0                 0             0         |               3          
N2               1                 0             0         |               3             
N3               0                 1             0         |               5              
N4               1                 1             0         |               5            
N5               0                 0             1         |               4             
N6               1                 0             1         |               2                  
N7               0                 1             1         |              29                            
N8               1                 1             1         |              27                    
(where 0=not present/not turned on, 1=present/turned on)

I think the numbers speak for themselves. I did not notice any abnormality of the baseline when the electric arc was turned on. The SNR remained excellent even in the presence of interference.

I'm attaching the full datasets to this post.
The next post will contain screenshots of the final result for each of the 8 datapoints above. Post #3 will contain pictures of the experimental setup.
Attachments
12-01-2017.zip
(1.89 MiB) Downloaded 278 times
There _is_ madness to my method.
Silviu Tamasdan

Re: New tests with neutron detector - EMI rejection

Screenshots
Attachments
no arc, no source, no moderator
no arc, no source, no moderator
arc, no source, no moderator
arc, no source, no moderator
no arc, source, no moderator
no arc, source, no moderator
arc, source, no moderator
arc, source, no moderator
no arc, no source, moderator
no arc, no source, moderator
arc, no source, moderator
arc, no source, moderator
no arc, source, moderator
no arc, source, moderator
arc, source, moderator
arc, source, moderator
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

A good start on working with more realistic issues (except, maybe failure issues with a fusor ;) . I've had my fill of those today with my own system.) A bit limited data - could use more runs with the source and moderator (say, ten) and maybe five runs without a moderator. Also, 29 counts in 10 minutes is rather low. I thought the source was more active then that - or is that the result of the detector bias circuit applied to the detector tube? Flynn was asking about that and as I only far too recently discovered, not an insignificant effect on the output signal.

Aside: a fusor can also cause issues with ground loops and feed-back problems along power lines within the house resulting in complex interference issues with detector systems, besides the RF signature that you are partly simulating.
Last edited by Dennis P Brown on Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Silviu Tamasdan

Pictures
Attachments
Baseline setup: in the middle detector tube suspended; to the left HV arc setup including flower pot with electrodes, NST and upconverting transformer; to the right MCA, laptop, mouse and coffee cup.
Baseline setup: in the middle detector tube suspended; to the left HV arc setup including flower pot with electrodes, NST and upconverting transformer; to the right MCA, laptop, mouse and coffee cup.
average arc about 1cm
average arc about 1cm
Test N4: arc on, source to the right (inside the plastic sleeve taped to the side of the brown box) but no moderator
Test N4: arc on, source to the right (inside the plastic sleeve taped to the side of the brown box) but no moderator
Test N5; arc off, no source, moderator in place.
Test N5; arc off, no source, moderator in place.
Test N6; arc on, moderator in place, source absent
Test N6; arc on, moderator in place, source absent
Test N7; no arc, source to the right, moderator in place
Test N7; no arc, source to the right, moderator in place
Test N8; arc on, source to the right, moderator in place
Test N8; arc on, source to the right, moderator in place
Silviu Tamasdan

Dennis P Brown wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:10 pm A good start on working with more realistic issues (except, maybe failure issues with a fusor ;) . I've had my fill of those today with my own system.) A bit limited data - could use more runs with the source and moderator (say, ten) and maybe five runs without a moderator. Also, 29 counts in 10 minutes is rather low. I thought the source was more active then that - or is that the result of the detector bias circuit applied to the detector tube? Flynn was asking about that and as I only far too recently discovered, not an insignificant effect on the output signal.
The detector is optimized already. With this system it's the best I can get. Poor sensitivity but can detect enough neutrons to see a difference. I am not trying to achieve high quality neutron flux measurement, but rather obtain reliable detection of thermalized neutrons above background. Precision will come later, with a completely different system that I've already started working on.
Aside: a fusor can also cause issues with ground loops and feed-back problems along power lines within the house resulting in complex interference issues with detector systems, besides the RF signature that you are partly simulating.
I can run the detection system disconnected from any power supply, just off the laptop battery. It runs for about 90 minutes this way. If I need more I can rig a car battery based charger. No ground loops, measuring system air-gapped.
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Is your source a nucleospot? If so you should have many more counts in 10 minutes in moderator. If it is how is the Be placed on the source.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Silviu Tamasdan

Silviu Tamasdan

Of course I get a lot more counts with the source placed inside the moderator block right next to the detector as opposed to 15cm away from it.

But again, that wasn't the point of this test.
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

That is good work - just the statistics are low for the limited data sets. That is, if one is counting between 2 and 3 events a minute, then the data rate isn't terribly significant relative to counting over ten minutes )count rate is just 10% of the total data set.) However, your noise floor is very low and your source is a known, which certainly indicates your data is solid - just sparse. Of course, for most fusion proofs, where the source isn't a given, and noise can be significant, higher data rates are necessary.

Do look forward to you doing fusion when you either build or locate a fusor class x-former or power supply - then you will have far more counts and a very strong & (hopefully!) better signal. My mentioning of the ground loops & feed-back issues on power lines was more a FYI for readers since this isn't always considered by people and can cause problems. A battery operated neutron detector system has a number of advantages.
Silviu Tamasdan

I am working on 3 power supplies now. One is the switching PS that I discussed in the other section. Another is modifying a Spellman PS for higher output current. The third is based on a more conventional iron-core transformer. The trigger points for more work on those are in order: 1.ferrites being shipped from China and free time; 2. resistors for appropriate power load being shipped from Russia, and time; 3. huge capacitors being shipped from China, and time.
In the best case scenario if all 3 are successful they wouldn't be wasted; I have enough ideas for using all 3 and more.

Return to “Images du Jour”