My WIP Fusor

Current images of fusor efforts, components, etc. Try to continuously update from your name, a current photo using edit function. Title post with your name once only. Change image and text as needed. See first posting for details.
Duncan Wilkie

My WIP Fusor

Post by Duncan Wilkie »

This is my vacuum system in its current form. At the moment I'm waiting on some friends to get back from vacation to help me weld and machine the chamber. My diff pump was picked up on eBay and seems to be in great condition. Still gonna give it a good scrub with a scotch-brite and a soak in acetone before firing it up, but the boiler works. The seller even sent oil. I also picked up an Inficon pirani/cold-cathode gauge used for $200 - a steal.
Vacuum Components
Vacuum Components
I've also made considerable progress on the electrical system. I've got a digital voltmeter working, and again have almost all the components I need to finish it. My plan is to put my transformer, rectifier, and resistors all under oil in a 10 gal fish tank. I couldn't find specific info on the FAQs about current measurements, however. If anyone knows where that is, please link me.
Voltmeter, Happily Working
Voltmeter, Happily Working
This is about all I have to work with for the moment. I'm mostly out of money to spend on this, and with school I can't work until summer. In 6 months, I may start a gas handling system, and then hopefully be happily fusing.

Cheers,

Duncan
Some say the glass is half full. Others see it as half empty. I say it is twice as big as it needs to be.
Silviu Tamasdan

Re: My WIP Fusor

Post by Silviu Tamasdan »

This may help on the metering. It's literally the top post in the HV FAQ section.
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=11602
And then there's this
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=4266

Essentially, the milivolts measured across a 1ohm resistor will give you the current through the resistor in mA. Or the milivolts across a 10ohm resistor, divided by 10, will give you the same mA. If the resistor is connected between the fusor shell (cathode) and ground, you'll measure the total current through the fusor. Make sure the resistor is very heavy duty and will withstand any amount of power that can conceivably go through it at any operation regimen of the fusor. If the resistor becomes interrupted your fusor will float against the ground and kill you.
There _is_ madness to my method.

Return to “Images du Jour”