My Attempt at a DIY Ionization Gauge

Current images of fusor efforts, components, etc. Try to continuously update from your name, a current photo using edit function. Title post with your name once only. Change image and text as needed. See first posting for details.
ian_krase

My Attempt at a DIY Ionization Gauge

Post by ian_krase »

Here's my take on a Bayard-Alpert gauge.

I honestly have no idea if this will actually work, it may very well need some tweaks. Once I get my hands on an electrometer and some more DIN rail power supplies, I will try actually driving this gauge to see if I can get some measurements out of it, and whether they agree at all with my actual ionization gauge.

The idea is to get some familiarity with electrostatics and ions for my future mass spectrometer project.

MVIMG_20180103_005711.jpg
ian_krase

Re: My Attempt at a DIY Ionization Gauge

Post by ian_krase »

It works!

Collector at ground, grid at about +28V, filament biased to between +2V and +5V to prevent electrons from hitting the collector.

The exact filament bias voltage needs to be adjusted to zero the gauge. Filament emission current is about 70 microamperes.

Collector current is read out on the nanoampere or 10-nanoampere range on my new Keithley 610C electrometer, and cleanly tracks my real ion gauge as I vary the pressure between 3E-5 and 9E-4 torr.

(Yeah, my chamber is kinda dirty and the massive amounts of Hysol 1C are not baked out yet.

Getting this all set up, without really having purpose-made wiring, is a bit of a spaghetti factory. I sadly still don't have the parts needed to short all unused feedthrough pins to ground.
JoseRey

Post by JoseRey »

you should calibrate it with a functional gauge and make 5 runs, take data, calculate averages and standard deviation and plot it, it'd give you a great insight and would look much more professional

greeting
JoseRey

Post by JoseRey »

Actually this reminds me of this cryogenic thermometer Cody's lab made

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgdaRXKIDNQ&t=582s
ian_krase

Post by ian_krase »

Yeah, this is mostly not so much meant as an experiment in metrology as a way to practice ion sources. An ion gun will come later.
JoseRey

Post by JoseRey »

Keep informing then

Return to “Images du Jour”