Sharing hamfest booty images

Current images of fusor efforts, components, etc. Try to continuously update from your name, a current photo using edit function. Title post with your name once only. Change image and text as needed. See first posting for details.
Richard Hull

Re: Sharing hamfest booty images

Post by Richard Hull »

The tiny tube looks like a spark gap tube or a HV gas regulator tube.
The smallest meter looks like a radium laced face and needle job from a WWII comm item used in aircraft. Can't see it all that well.
The large loose capped rectifier could be an 866A but JAN numbered for WWII or Korea.
The nupro valve was the real buy. Looks like swagelok connections.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Rich Feldman

Post by Rich Feldman »

Yes yes & yes.
I was picky about the free meters, and at least one looked like it had radium paint.
Haven't tried lighting up the funny little diode.
The valve does have those face-seal connectors, including a metal dent protector under one of the plastic dust caps.

The rectifier says JAN-249? (probable remnant of a fourth digit). Filament seems to heat properly on 2.50 volts AC. I let that run for 15 minutes before applying any plate bias. Then it wouldn't light below 19.7 volts DC (measured from one end of the filament), but finally displayed its mercury content. Here with three different photo exposures; current was about 500 mA for the first two.
rect_combo.JPG
I have no mogul socket that contacts ring terminal of the three-way bulb. In a regular mogul socket the 200W filament works. The other filament has an appropriate DC resistance.

I foolishly expected the self-ballasting mercury vapor lamp to have a coil or something inside. Nope, just a series incandescent filament. Will be interesting to monitor the current as the Hg capsule warms up. If power is interrupted while hot, it need time to cool down before it can restrike on 120 V. Of course the outer bulb, with black light filter, gets pretty hot for a non-halogen incandescent lamp.
blb_combo.JPG
Yes, Dennis, I wore good sunglasses during that exercise. Probably should have for the rectifier work, but that device is not an intentional radiator of UV light.

The Internet hasn't satisfied my curiosity about whether some discipline really uses a unit called kolovolt.
All models are wrong; some models are useful. -- George Box
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

The official "arc drop" on Mercury vapor rectifiers is typically 13-20 volts. Officially, in college back in 1964 we had to spit out 13.6 volts when giving Mercury arc drop answers on tests.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment

Return to “Images du Jour”