My first plasma

Current images of fusor efforts, components, etc. Try to continuously update from your name, a current photo using edit function. Title post with your name once only. Change image and text as needed. See first posting for details.
Dennis P Brown

Re: My first plasma

Post by Dennis P Brown »

The best course to take is throw away that glass chamber, buy a low cost Stainless Steel (SS) four way cross (50 mm dia.) and make that your chamber. Installing a decent window (1 cm thick glass) and a high voltage feed thru is very easy - that leaves a place to add a vacuum exhaust and gas feed line. This SS 4-way will not just make a vastly safer way to do fusion but relax's the voltage/current required to do detectable fusion, too!

See fairly recent examples of people using 20 - 25 kV and around 10 ma or so in a 50 mm 4-way and getting strong fusion neutron counts. Aside: I assume you have deuterium gas, a proper power supply, and neutron detection system since you indicated your next step is fusion.)
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

I have given instruction on how to avoid direct hot beam contact with a viewport window in an all stainless chamber.

In short, mount you grid so that the north or south pole is viewed "dead on in the window. You may lose the pretty core image but the rays and beams will be seen well. There is zero chance a beam with emit from the juncture of the north/south wire bundle in the grid. Note: Your window will still slowly be occluded with deposition, but not be burned or stressed.

Fusor IV image attached in faux colors due to deposition on the window over long operational periods. This is normal and the reason a color camera is of no real value on a fusor that is, or has been, operated unopened or serviced, internally, over many months or years of use.

Richard Hull
Attachments
Looking directly at the pole of the grid
Looking directly at the pole of the grid
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Eduardo_Machado

Post by Eduardo_Machado »

Hello,

Thank you all for advise and suggestions. We don't have a new chamber yet, but we are looking for a stainless steel one. For sure I will share my progress with you.

Regards,

Eduardo
Eduardo_Machado

Post by Eduardo_Machado »

After more than a year, we finally got neutrons! See my other post.

Eduardo

Return to “Images du Jour”