More Upgrades

Current images of fusor efforts, components, etc. Try to continuously update from your name, a current photo using edit function. Title post with your name once only. Change image and text as needed. See first posting for details.
Joe Gayo

More Upgrades

Post by Joe Gayo » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:48 pm

It has been a while since my last post, but I've continued working on the device. There have been several significant upgrades:

- Feedthrough and ballast resistor changed to accommodate 60kV (with the assistance of mineral oil).
IMG_1233_sm.jpg
IMG_1234_sm.jpg
- New 1kW 60kV power supply

- Pressure control using MKS 250 and 248

- Custom designed remote control panel (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gplmr2G ... e=youtu.be)

- 2M+ n/sec TIER

Ameen Aydan

Re: More Upgrades

Post by Ameen Aydan » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:09 pm

This can possibly be used as a neutron generator for real life applications. Try sputtering titanium to make a beam on target device. From a PM with Mr. Seltzmen, coating the grid would help more so than the walls.

But in all that is an extremely good system, especially for how small it is! Really good job and I wish you the best!

Ameen Aydan

Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:14 pm

I do not think I have ever seen a better presentation of co-joint functioning metering systems. (you tube)
Fabulous! a lot of thought and scaling went into this effort.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

Joe Gayo

Post by Joe Gayo » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:37 pm

I added a water cooling loop to the chamber to allow longer run times. (The thickness of the cathode already allows for long run times.) The main limiter seems to be electron beam heating of the walls which vaporizes material and poisons the fusion rate. The current setup can run for hours at 5mA and 1M n/sec.

The device seems capped at 3.2M n/sec for about a minute at 60kV and 15mA. The only option seems to be to raise the voltage to increase the fusion rate. (I’ve also considered changing cathode material and shape. Presently the cathode is aluminum.) I really want over 10M n/sec and it seems 100kV is probably required. I’m not sure the chamber geometry will support that high of a potential.

Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:14 pm

Based on the curves, 150kev is the limit on gain versus increased fusion as the curve's slope falls off fast.
Getting even 5meg n/sec seems an un-doable effort unless heroics and super shielding is brought to the effort. The x-rays would be lethal at 150kev.

Richard
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

Joe Gayo

Post by Joe Gayo » Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:31 pm

That assumes that the ions gain the full cathode potential, but in our neutral collision dominated systems I don’t think that’s true. Of course the xrays are a problem. I do have a setup that’s controlled from 50ft away.

John Futter

Post by John Futter » Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:21 am

joer
It is not the ions that create the x-rays
It is the secondary electronsknocked off the grid that are accelerated to the fusor wall causing the x radiation

Joe Gayo

Post by Joe Gayo » Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:33 am

I know... I was referring to Richard talking about the D-D fusion cross section versus energy

Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull » Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:37 am

Once again, John scores a direct hit. The electrons, typically from an emissive grid are indeed afforded, due to their tiny relative "size", a free ride to virtually full potential to the high-Z wall. Only a pitiful few interacting with the deuterium gas or deuterons in the fusor. The fusor is a near ideal x-ray tube of yesteryear! (gas x-ray tubes of the 1890s-1920's). The fusor is a far more efficient x-ray tube than a fusion reactor.

As long as folks putter around with demo fusors and never make over 25kv in a real fusor, virtually zero x-rays are emitted from their device, assuming a metal SS bodied fusor of typical .0625-inch wall thickness. However glass view ports and HV insulators are x-ray beam ports in all real fusors and are best pointed to the floor or the ceiling in their mechanical installations.

newbies.....See FAQ on positioning fusor components and x-ray warning FAQs.

Richard Hull

Bruce Meagher

Post by Bruce Meagher » Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:51 am

Richard,

I believe you are quoting the D-T cross-section curve (not the D-D cross-section) in your comment above. The D-D fusion cross-section doesn't fall off until a few MeV. Below is a graph of the different fusion reaction cross-sections vs energy taken from: http://www.kayelaby.npl.co.uk/atomic_an ... 4_7_4.html

Not that any amateur will push the voltages much above 100kV for the reasons stated above.

As a data point on neutron production I was just reading the Berkeley Compact Neutron Source (D-D beam on target) can generate 10^8 neutrons/seconds at just over 100keV using only a 10% duty cycle. A fusor is a different beast, but this might be useful as a data point. https://www.osti.gov/servlets/purl/824852

Bruce
Attachments
fusion cross section.jpg