Archived - Science Fair Demo Fusor

Current images of fusor efforts, components, etc. Try to continuously update from your name, a current photo using edit function. Title post with your name once only. Change image and text as needed. See first posting for details.
platano

Archived - Science Fair Demo Fusor

Post by platano »

I finally got some pics of our setup. Last weekend was science fair and it was hectic. Unfortunately, we didn't win anything, not even honorable mention. A project in our division based on "which wood sealant is the best" beat us. Wood sealent beat the demo fusor. I have no explanation for that, other than our group plans on continuing the fusor next year, aiming for D-D fusion. Well, thanks for all of the help and tips you guys have given us. I really appreciate it.

The first few pics shows what our setup looks like, the most basic of all designs. In the last pic, we switched the polarity around, so that the inner grid was grounded and the outer grid was negative, and this is what we got.
Attachments
P1030142.JPG
P1030139.JPG
P1030141.JPG
setup2.JPG
setup.JPG
3l

Re: Science Fair Demo Fusor

Post by 3l »

Hi Matt:

Don't worry about the people judging that fair.
If he's the typical science fair judge he will pass up anything that makes him seem like a dumm dumm.
Your setup and pictures are very good.
refine your rig then enter yourself in the Intel Science Fair.
That is the same bell jar that I'm using with a can insert to standardize pulse fusion.
very good!

Happy Fusoring!
Larry Leins
Fusor Tech
John_Poleto

Re: Archived - Science Fair Demo Fusor

Post by John_Poleto »

This is a very impressive setup!
One thing that i noticed, was that the grids seem to be held together with what looks like tape...If you do enter another science fair, i think that you may get a better "score" if you replace the tape with something else...Some methods that i have heard of are crimping wires in circles, and then wrapping the joints with wire, for the outher grid, and for the inner grid, weaving high temp. wire into a circle. Also, something that may work too, is making a spot welder out of a MOT, a few oil filled caps., a mercury contact relay, a foot switch, a variac, THICK wire[insulated,] and a metal cutting reciporocating saw.(i used a hack saw and a lot of elbow grease...) This kind of setup can be easily made, and will work for welding the grids together. I am currently working on one myself, and if you would like any help as to how to assemble it, email me at loafer_meister@hotmail.com
Happy Fusing,
John
teslapark

Re: Archived - Science Fair Demo Fusor

Post by teslapark »

Matt,

I'm glad to see students are still representing the IEC at science fairs. As far as I know, me and Micheal Lei kicked this off in 2002, with the ISEF and JSHS competitions.

It looks like you're off to a great start. No doubt soon you will learn what a bitch high vacuum systems can be, as most folks do when they commit to building a neutron capable system.

Your setup reminds me of the first days of operating my Mk. I fusor, which eventually became a very solid demo device.

Good luck and try to find a creative and novel way to conduct/present your research for science fair. As the basic neutron and demo fusors have now already been seen by officials at all levels. You'll get a taste of the scientific community through your endeavors, the nay sayers, boosters, and just plain dumb. It's an interesting, entertaining, and absolutely crazy bunch.

Adam Parker

Return to “Images du Jour”