Archived - 10 Micron Star Mode

Current images of fusor efforts, components, etc. Try to continuously update from your name, a current photo using edit function. Title post with your name once only. Change image and text as needed. See first posting for details.
Mark Rowley

Archived - 10 Micron Star Mode

Post by Mark Rowley » Mon May 17, 2004 4:12 am

I thought I would post this picture of my best star mode. A diffusion pump is on the way which should get me into the sub-micron world of fusoring. When that happens, my current setup will be totally reconfigured.

Mark Rowley
Attachments
StarMode1a.jpg
StarMode1a.jpg (14.92 KiB) Viewed 1164 times

apollo

Re: 10 Micron Star Mode

Post by apollo » Mon May 17, 2004 10:38 am

Wow! What outer grid are you using? What is the seal between your bell jar and base plate?

Mark Rowley

Post by Mark Rowley » Mon May 17, 2004 5:22 pm

Before I dismantle my fusor, I felt that it was important to take a quick photo of my star mode at best vacuum. My spherical outer grid suffered an assault by my son which it never recovered from. So I quickly put together a makeshift outer "ring" grid by bending and crimping some tig rod. It worked good enough for the photo. I still recommend a spherical outer grid for a demo fusor.

My baseplate is 5/8" thick alluminum plate from an alluminum supplier I found on E-Bay. It only cost me $15.00. I drilled and tapped the holes necessary for the hoses, TC gauge and HV feedthru. My sealant is only a small bead of Dow Corning Vacuum Grease.

Mark Rowley

Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull » Mon May 17, 2004 5:42 pm

I have archived this sucker. Beautiful! Deja Vu of fusor II, my old bell jar model. I can sympathize with the needed tear down. Sometimes a complete rework is in order to move to the next step or stage.

Richard Hull

Richard
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.