Archived - Fusor IV -picture group 1

Current images of fusor efforts, components, etc. Try to continuously update from your name, a current photo using edit function. Title post with your name once only. Change image and text as needed. See first posting for details.
Richard Hull

Archived - Fusor IV -picture group 1

Post by Richard Hull »

Posted here are the mostly finished images of FusorIV. Two views of the entire system and one of the main fusor itself.

NOTE!! to view images full size, just double click on them.

I violate my own rule in image #1 by sending a larger image but it is at the max resolution and highest pixel count of my 1.2megapixel sony mavica for detail.

The second picture and all the rest are at a more handy 640X480 resolution. the second picture is from a different perspective.

The final image here is a shot of the fusor system with most of the plumbing and gas manifopld visible as weel as the fusor and He3 Neutron counter.

I will follow with multiple close ups of specific areas in a second archived post (picture group 2)

Richard Hull
Attachments
FIV const 1.jpg
FIV const 0.jpg
FIV const 3.jpg
FIV const 14.jpg
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Starfire

Re: Archived - Fusor IV -picture group 1

Post by Starfire »

Thanks for sharing Richard - for those of us who do not have the pleasure or opportunity to visit base, the quality of the workmanship and presentation is an inspiration. The archieve is an invaluable part of this board - each forum so poignant.
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Thanks for the kind words Mike! My fusor is definitely not the prettiest in the bunch, but it is functional. I am glad to be back in the pack after a long dawdle over the last two years with a limping fusor III and in seach of instrumentation upgrades.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Paul_Schatzkin
Site Admin

Post by Paul_Schatzkin »

Richard, like the guy in "Defending the Caveman" says, "purty."

I'm curious, is their any particular reason why you've mounted this model with the hemispheres joined across the horizontal, instead of across the vertical like your Fusor III? Trying to replicate the "Two Prime" ?

And, when do we start adding ion guns?

--PS
Paul Schatzkin, aka "The Perfesser" – Founder and Host of Fusor.net
Author of The Boy Who Invented Television: 2023 Edition – https://amz.run/6ag1
"Fusion is not 20 years in the future; it is 60 years in the past and we missed it."
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

I mounted fusor IV in the manner seen due to space and utilitarian concerns related to HV input configurations and camera mounting coupled with vacuum line issues.

Ion guns on a Farnsworth device are a ways off for me. I haven't fully brought the final iteration of fusor IV on line where I hope to install and ionizer grid and electron source.

I will upgrade these images as the system morphs to IVa and IVb, etc. For me, a fusor's Roman numerial is defined solely by its shell or body. I have had all of fusor V's materials on hand for over 1 year. But that is another story.

Richard Hull
htmagic

Post by htmagic »

Richard,

Very nice pictures and as always very informative. I see both digital and analog meters I presume for current and voltage. Which ones are you using and which ones do you prefer?

I looked and I thought I saw a Tesla coil secondary but I guess that is your neutron detector?
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

The neturon detector moderator tank, indeed, used to be a 6" diameter "extra coil" from one of my magnifiers, now long unwound and finding this new usage.

If a value is going to be moving about or oscillating wildly, there is still nothing that can give an easy to view average reading like the integrating nature of an analog meter. For stable or set voltages, I far prefer an LED only digital meter. I absolutely dispise any LCD digital system. I will not design a system around the latter at all! Digital meters often give the false impression that all those decimal places are of value. Sometimes, they are not.

A good source for the led digital meters is....

http://www.mpja.com/productview.asp?product=12308+ME

Richard Hull

Return to “Images du Jour”