Archived - Fusor Progress

Current images of fusor efforts, components, etc. Try to continuously update from your name, a current photo using edit function. Title post with your name once only. Change image and text as needed. See first posting for details.
Harris

Archived - Fusor Progress

Post by Harris »

Mr. Hull has asked me to post my fusor project pictures here for others to view. I spent this weekend completing the support table for the fusor using a scrap aluminum plates and an old printer table. I drilled and taped 4 aluminum dowels as support legs for a aluminum ring that the fusor will mount to. I have included some of the information from my introduction for those who want a little more detail of the fusor assembly itself.

I built my fusor from two 10” hemispheres and two ISO 250 flange blank offs. Each blank off was machined to the proper I.D. to receive the hemisphere shells. The NW 40 and NW 63 ports were cut from old vacuum manifolds and machined for proper finish. The hemispheres holes were machined by myself (with assistance) using a Bridgeport Milling Machine.

The welding was done by a vacuum welder who just by chance built a fusor in college some years ago. He was quite enthusiastic about welding up another one. Once I had received the fusor weldment all that was left was to leak-check the chamber for any weldment leaks. For this task I used a Pfeiffer Vacuum SmartTest helium leak detector. Thanks to the outstanding welding experience of the welder there were only two small leaks, each associated with one of the NW 40 nipples. They were so minor that I was easily able to maintain 2.3 x 10-8 scale vacuum. To resolve the leak problem I resorted to Loctite 290 (Green in color) to seal the leaks. This method only took 15 minutes before both leaks were sealed.
Attachments
7.JPG
6.JPG
0.jpg
1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG
Mike Beauford

Re: Fusor Progress

Post by Mike Beauford »

Looks very nice, nice work. I'm almost jeaulous! :)
Mike Beauford
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Your name is added to the scroungers list. Very nice work. When you get a glow, post new images and we will move you to the plasma club.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Steven Sesselmann

Post by Steven Sesselmann »

Kenyatta, very nice clean work!

Steven
http://www.gammaspectacular.com - Gamma Spectrometry Systems
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Steven_Sesselmann - Various papers and patents on RG

Return to “Images du Jour”