Archived - West Coast HEAS Realtime Pictures

Current images of fusor efforts, components, etc. Try to continuously update from your name, a current photo using edit function. Title post with your name once only. Change image and text as needed. See first posting for details.
Frank Sanns
Site Admin

Archived - West Coast HEAS Realtime Pictures

Post by Frank Sanns »

Photos being relayed to Steven S. Thanks.

Frank Sanns

Editor while Archiving - I chose not to erase the first six pictureless messages to give context. No one should ever start a thread here that doesn't have images attached to that first thread. Just a reminder. R.H.
Achiever's madness; when enough is still not enough. ---FS
We have to stop looking at the world through our physical eyes. The universe is NOT what we see. It is the quantum world that is real. The rest is just an electron illusion. ---FS
Carl Willis

Re: West Coast HEAS Realtime Pictures-TEST

Post by Carl Willis »

Hi Frank,

Perhaps I'm naive, but I wonder if it's the size of the image that is causing the problems? Is there a way to resize to ~640x480 or so?

Wish I could be out there with you guys. Alas, can't do everything. Best wishes to the other attendees and thanks to Jon for hosting. I look forward to the pics.

-Carl
Carl Willis
http://carlwillis.wordpress.com/
TEL: +1-505-412-3277
Steven Sesselmann

Re: West Coast HEAS Realtime Pictures

Post by Steven Sesselmann »

Almost like being there...

Adding images taken with Frank's iPhone as they arrive... Steven

EDIT: Photo #5 Bruce M., Todd M., Jon R., Bob H., George S., Don M., and Ed ( not a fusor person)

I am in Photo #4 next to Jon R.

All last names have been left of per request of some in the photos.

Frank Sanns
Attachments
photo5.JPG
photo4.JPG
photo4.JPG (40 KiB) Viewed 5860 times
photo3.JPG
photo2.JPG
photo1.JPG
photo1.JPG (36.21 KiB) Viewed 5860 times
http://www.gammaspectacular.com - Gamma Spectrometry Systems
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Steven_Sesselmann - Various papers and patents on RG
Frank Sanns
Site Admin

Post by Frank Sanns »

Excellent group discussions about fusor construction and operation and future work. Also good discussion about the forum format itself which was very positive. Jon R is now running a multiple mega neutron per second run and activating some exotic elements.

Thanks for relaying the photos Steven!

Frank Sanns
We have to stop looking at the world through our physical eyes. The universe is NOT what we see. It is the quantum world that is real. The rest is just an electron illusion. ---FS
Todd Massure

Post by Todd Massure »

Great to see you all yesterday.
Topics of discussion were wide and varied and ranged from fusor construction and theory to neutron detection to the nature of irrational numbers and entropy.
The West Coast HEAS was definitely a more low key and intimate gathering than the East Coast original, but a great time with it's own flavor. Most of us only had to travel a couple hours or less except for Frank S. who was the one non-California local, in town from the East Coast.
Thanks so much to Jon Rosenstiel and his wife for hosting and providing some great food and beverages.

Todd Massure
George Schmermund

Post by George Schmermund »

Jon - Thanks go out to you and Carol for pulling this all together! It was a really enjoyable afternoon with a group of interesting people.
Anything obvious in high vacuum is probably wrong.
Donald McKinley

Post by Donald McKinley »

Very fun day. Thanks Jon for hosting and please convey my thanks to your wife as well. Your very competent and tidy work habits are inspiring. Beautiful ion pump. It was good to see you and Tod again and to meet you Ed, Bob, Bruce, Frank and George.

I was sorry that you couldn't make it Dave ( I'm sure that you'll read this). Frank, I like your music stuff. It looks like fun. One of these days I'd like to do a before-and-after test drive. I always like your postings here, they are good food for thought.

I don't post too much here any more (Theory only takes one so far). I do frequently read the posts. I will post more if I ever start making a fusor. I have a small varian diff pump and I believe its a welsh 1400 backing pump.

Till next time
Don M.
Bruce Meagher

Post by Bruce Meagher »

What a fantastic gathering! It was a pleasure meeting you all in person. I feel privileged to have witnessed so many neutrons flying by. Jon, your fusor setup, lab, and machine shop are amazing. Truly inspiring.

Thanks for opening up your house.

Bruce
richnormand

Post by richnormand »

Thank for the pix!

I do recognize a few faces but would you consider putting figure captions (if people in the pix are comfortable with that) with the names under the photos? That would be nice for the few of us that "interact" via the forum but never got the opportunity to really meet over a beer. Lord knows that I owe a few beers to many fusor members!!!

Hopefully I'll be able to join too in the future.
Frank Sanns
Site Admin

Post by Frank Sanns »

Names have been added to the photos. I will clean up this thread when I am back home with a real computer unless one of the other administrators are moved to do so.

I enjoyed seeing the familiar faces again and meeting some new ones. Good conversation and exchanges.

Thanks for hosting us Jon.

Frank Sanns
Jon Rosenstiel

Post by Jon Rosenstiel »

The wife and I had a great time hosting this small event, but boy, the next day I felt like I had been out all night partying. (Guess I’m not as young as I once was).

Guys, thanks for all the compliments and thanks for taking the time to drive up here. (Fly out here in Frank’s case)

My lab demo consisted of neutron activating a small piece of indium, then, using my Ortec HPGe detector, collecting the activation product’s gamma-ray spectrum on one MCA while measuring its half-life on another MCA.

The first image shows In-116m’s gamma-ray spectrum. Peaks are captioned with energy and (in parentheses) intensity. (Intensity is a measure of the number of gamma-rays emitted per 100 beta decays).

The second image shows 54.3-minute In-116m’s decay rate. Considering the count-rate was nothing to write home about I was quite surprised that the measured half-life value came out as close as it did. (A little luck involved here)

Jon Rosenstiel
Attachments
Spectrum.gif
Decay.gif
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Nice event and nice images! One of these gatherings never fails to encourage and enthuse. Your West Coast event might grow, one never knows.

Nice activation charts and graphs of the Indium activation and decay. Really well done, indeed. Wish I could have been there.

My first event, (Teslathon, back then in 1989), had our own 6 members in Richmond and 8 others attend from MD, NJ, and NY. Last year we had 58, If you include me and th' wife. The telsthon never died, it morphed into the HEAS event, so my event is unbroken for 22 years.

Already, my coined name "teslathon" has several tesla coil based events around the country each year. I just attended the Rochester Teslathon last weekend that was modeled after my own and is the largest and oldest after my own. ~50 people normally attend with a very robust fleamarket. I sold U ore, Trinitite and GM counters.

Jon's event might grow to have a small fleamarket as well. That would be cool and unique to the west coast. Fleamarkets for fusioneers helps spread hard to get goodies around to th' needy with some funds. Based on Jon's specific event just held, his is the second HEAS (High Energy Amateur Science) event held in the US, though informal gatherings of one, two or three fusioneers have occured elsewhere.

To make such an HEAS event...
1. It must be sheduled, (planned in advance)
2. Last the bulk of a day, at least
3. Food or munchies, at least, should be served and plans for some meals made even if going out to a restaurant together.
4. Some group discussions should also take place, whether formal or informal.
5. There must be operating high energy gear, chemical demos, or other such things taking place at some point in the event.
6. A fleamarket would be nice but not required.

Fleamarkets are often the anchor that builds and sustains future planned events. The realization that you might bring home some new or needed goody while turning some of your spares or unused junk into cash or secure a good trade, really pushes one to attend in a unique way. If you are already interested in the material and items seen at the event, the socializing with similar oddballs like yourself, then the fleamarket is often the clincher.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Frank Sanns
Site Admin

Re: Archived - West Coast HEAS Realtime Pictures

Post by Frank Sanns »

At Jon's house, as all of us were meeting in the living room, there was a swarm of hummingbirds that kept looking in the window. It seemed strange enough for comment about being monitored to ensue and then laughed off as paranoid absurdity. It is obviously absurd. http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=29a_1316217581

Frank Sanns
Todd Massure

Re: Archived - West Coast HEAS Realtime Pictures

Post by Todd Massure »

Ha!
Someone is on to us!
So when they say it costs $4 Million...is that for one drone??

Return to “Images du Jour”