Archived - Fusor progress

Current images of fusor efforts, components, etc. Try to continuously update from your name, a current photo using edit function. Title post with your name once only. Change image and text as needed. See first posting for details.
Jamie Edwards

Archived - Fusor progress

Post by Jamie Edwards »

As my test run date is approaching more work has been done on my Fusor. The following photos show my progress:

I should be fusing in the next few weeks, hopefully before my 14th birthday, I believe if I do this it will make me the youngest fusioneer.
Attachments
View of my lab from the door
View of my lab from the door
Vacuum pump oil for the mech and diff pump
Vacuum pump oil for the mech and diff pump
This is the neutron moderator and silver bar for activation experiments
This is the neutron moderator and silver bar for activation experiments
Here is part of the gas system there is now a regulator on the end that connects to the deuterium
Here is part of the gas system there is now a regulator on the end that connects to the deuterium
Here is the chamber itself the guage on top has now been replaced with a thermocouple guage
Here is the chamber itself the guage on top has now been replaced with a thermocouple guage
Here you can see the lead shielding and the fish tank for neutron sheilding
Here you can see the lead shielding and the fish tank for neutron sheilding
The control panel
The control panel
Photo took from where I will stand while operating the Fusor
Photo took from where I will stand while operating the Fusor
Jamie Edwards

Re: Fusor progress

Post by Jamie Edwards »

I have finally finished construction of the reactor today.
I can't test for neutrons just yet but I have tested the vacuum. I have to complete a radiation safety training course before I am allowed to do a deuterium run. In the vacuum test I managed to get the chamber down to less than 0.5 microns with the diffusion pump. It is hard to get a really good reading as i only have access to a TC guage. The following photos show me I front of the reactor and the gauge showing the vacuum reading.
I plan to do a plasma run tomorrow at a lower voltage so there are no X-rays going through the vacuum chamber.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
Jamie Edwards

Post by Jamie Edwards »

Some more photos of the reactor
Attachments
Me with the reactor
Me with the reactor
From where I will stand
From where I will stand
Metering
Metering
image.jpg
Gas system
Gas system
image.jpg
image.jpg
Chris Bradley

Post by Chris Bradley »

Jamie. Well done, that is a lot of work.

A couple of questions; how are you imaging the plasma (do you have a viewport or camera?) and what flow restriction are you using to regulate your deuterium?
Scott Moroch

Post by Scott Moroch »

What high voltage power supply are you using for your fusor? Also, where did you get your high voltage feedthroughs? I am also finishing up my fusor and I am just curious because we are in need of a high voltage feedthrough, if we do not build one. Very nice set up though! Good work.

Scott Moroch
"In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity"
-Albert Einstein
Jamie Edwards

Post by Jamie Edwards »

Chris,

For viewing the plasma I have a view port with a web cam pointing inside that cannects to a laptop so I can see the image

And for regulating the deuterium I have a 2 stage hydrogen regulator that leads on to a needle valve then a resivour that leads in to a needle oferice that goes into a fine needle valve then to the chamber.

Scott,

I am using a 40KV negative polarity CPS power supply I bought it of eBay for just $150.

The feedthroughs are from kurt j lesker @ £70 each

Jamie
Cjsellers

Post by Cjsellers »

You're an inspiration kiddo! Keep it up!
David Nagy

Post by David Nagy »

Meh, sort of impressive but for £3000 you could have made it look a lot more professional. And it seems sort of unlikely to me that you achieved fusion at 18 kv.
In some sort of crude sense, which no vulgarity, no humor, no overstatement can quite extinguish, the physicists have known sin; and this is a knowledge which they cannot lose.

J. Robert Oppenheimer
Chris Bradley

Post by Chris Bradley »

David, you appear to be offering neither a useful critique, nor any other useful observation to the thread. Qualified discussions of what's good or not is useful as it can be built on. You just seem to be having a moan about something, which I don't think is in order here. We like seeing folks doing stuff here and walking-the-walk, so dismal comments from those who have not done so are going to get frowned on.
David Nagy

Post by David Nagy »

Sorry about that, one of my group members stole my ipad and posted that. I apologize and I agree with the others that his achievement is very impressive and inspirational, once again sorry.
In some sort of crude sense, which no vulgarity, no humor, no overstatement can quite extinguish, the physicists have known sin; and this is a knowledge which they cannot lose.

J. Robert Oppenheimer

Return to “Images du Jour”