Archived - NEUTRONS!!!

Current images of fusor efforts, components, etc. Try to continuously update from your name, a current photo using edit function. Title post with your name once only. Change image and text as needed. See first posting for details.
Chris Bradley

Re: NEUTRONS!!!

Post by Chris Bradley »

I think assumptions of a 30cm range (eyeballing photos) and ~10 neut/cm^2/s per mrem/hr lead to a suggested neutron rate of over 200kneut/s at 2mrem/hr. An activation result could be possible, if this is so.

The high pressure (at which no previous successful fusion runs have been reported) and lack of evidence of a star mode (that I think we have some good ideas why it is a pre-cursor to the fusion regime) has to raise further questions to answer first, such as whether it is a BF3 (shielded or unshielded tube?) responding to the x-ray component. From the commentary during the run, the Bonner ball count seemed to rise as soon as the X-rays rose, whereas I would've expected a period where x-rays would kick off before the neutrons started up.

Nothing demonstrated yet, one way or other: The usual treatments, to perform null experiments, may be the next steps - does the Bonner ball react when an inert gas is used instead of D2, and then does the count rate drop when the moderator is removed?
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Note: Some remballs, (Bonner Spheres), do not allow the detector tube to be removed all that easy, others do. But if it can be removed, as Chris notes, that is the ultimate test to determine whether you are measuring fast neutrons or not. One fellow about a year ago was awarded a win and entry into the Neutron club without counter numbers really quoted just because he did the definitive test on video for all to see with good camera work similar to Carl Willis' superb video showing this effect. Again this is in a great FAQ in the Neutron radiation forum.
1 Run your fusor.
2. With moderator in place around the detector tube, record real counts.
3. Withdraw the tube from the moderator and you should have no counts at all. A naked neutron detector tube will not count or detect fast fusion neutrons!
4. Re-insert the tube back into the moderator and the counts return.

You are doing fusion without any doubt.

If you get counts inside and outside of the moderator, your entire neutron counter setup has major issues.

Here is the link to the video showing this effect. Well done stuff like this is a must watch for all folks doing neutron measurments. While overly instructive and aimed more at the self assembled neutron counting system, it does show the above effect admirably. All you really need is a known good neutron counter system with a detector tube that can be removed from its moderator assembly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skP3SWWR9Kw

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Jim Kovalchick

Post by Jim Kovalchick »

I also agree that more work needs to be done for clear demonstration of neutrons. It appears that the plasma flashed for a short period of time and then extinguished. Plasma management may come from setting a pressure that doesn't require such a high voltage in the chamber and then walking up voltage while slowly decreasing pressure. Big flashes cause electronic noise and bursts of outgassing that make it even harder to control current.

Sounds to me like this good project was rushed a little bit by press hype and the race to get neutrons before the 14th birthday to say he beat Taylor Wilson's age record. This all stands out to me because the press was called in for the first neutron run. I'm not sure this young man is even in the plasma club yet.

Learn to manage plasma. In fact don't waste D doing it. Use air. Explore your controls. Then tinker with D. Look for star mode. Shake down and learn your neutron instrumentation. Racing for artificial milestones like youngest is how power supplies get fried, grids get melted, and people get hurt. All this with hauling in the press may lead people to think you just trying to show boat your way to fame.

Best of luck to Jamie. I hope he achieves but by doing it right.
John Futter

Post by John Futter »

Jamie
Well done so far
Science is 90% perspiration (work done), 5 % aspiration, and 5% inspiration

we will all look forward to your continuing results
Silver activation may be the easiest to prove neutrons but yo udo need quite a few to get the silver sufficiently above background to be able to measure the half life curve
Jamie Edwards

Post by Jamie Edwards »

Thanks for the quick responses I am gathering more evidence from the bbc ect so I can give you all the information.
I will make a full report and put I to here on Monday.

Jamie
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

If you can prove fusion at 14 I will put your name up beside Taylor Wilson's as the youngest guys to ever do fusion (14). As noted above run the tests and show good proof of fusion. I don't think that 20kv fusion levels will be enough to do definitive silver activation work. (Though I could be wrong if the work is carefully conducted.)

I have put you in the plasma club for now

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Jamie Edwards

Post by Jamie Edwards »

Hello,
I thought I should write a brief to explain the radio silence from my end. I've read all the posts that have been a direct in response to my fusion claim and those that have been indirect with much interest. I really appreciate the time people have taken to respond. I have not been able to do any more work with my reactor due to having to catch up on school work and having had some exams too.

The science mentors that have been supporting me felt that what they witnessed was evidence of fusion. So far amongst those who have been involved and have looked over my work include 2 science teachers at school one of whom is a physicist, a university professor and also a senior nuclear energy researcher.

I was able to hold plasma for a good number of minutes on several occasions. No movement on the bonner sphere was noted during this time. The bonner sphere only moved once the D had been introduced to the chamber. This was one of the reasons it was believed I had achieved fusion.
I was hoping to have further video evidence to post but I the video was perhaps too focused on individual elements of the experiment rather than giving a broad overview of all that was happening simultaneously. I will address this in future runs and evidence collecting.

I have learn many lessons - particularly making sure I've done enough to record the essential data as needed!

There have been suggestions that I repeat the experiment and provide a much more detailed account including doing runs without D in the system and then with. This is sound advice that I will follow.
I aim to have this more detailed information with you soon.

I will be doing more test as soon as I get my parts back!

Many thanks-
Jamie

Return to “Images du Jour”