Update on slow progress

Current images of fusor efforts, components, etc. Try to continuously update from your name, a current photo using edit function. Title post with your name once only. Change image and text as needed. See first posting for details.
Jamie Edwards

Update on slow progress

Post by Jamie Edwards »

Hello
It’s been a while since I’ve posted on here and i wanted to update on my progress.
Unfortunately progress has been slower than i could ever have imagined. I hadn’t been in touch as i was feeling a little embarrassed that I had no news to share with you all- but realise that actually if i am going to create fusion I really need to keep in touch and share my frustrations and use the support that is so readily offered by this forum.
As some of you may remember i had to borrow bits of equipment so I could do my first few runs. Namely the neutron detectors and High voltage power supply. I also managed to get to use an old disused lab in which to build and store my reactor.
A big hurdle has been getting hold of the power supply again – and a different neutron detector- and even more of a challenge is that the school are having the old lab knocked down as they are having a new science block built!
But the biggest challenge has been finding the time to do this and keep on top of my school work.
So where does that leave me-
Well I’ve still got another 6 months of being 14! And I am still working on getting hold of a power supply and reliable neutron detection equipment.

I am talking at the TEDxCERN event in a week or so- my talk has a draft title of ‘from fish tanks to fusion’ and aims to give a flavour of the excitement and challenges of being a young scientist hopefully to encourage other young kids to get involved and try things. I make reference to fusor.net – and acknowledge that I need to re-run my experiment to verify results – but ultimately I hope it is a humorous insight to the world of a young scientist on a budget.
Jim Kovalchick

Re: Update on slow progress

Post by Jim Kovalchick »

Welcome back Jamie. I know there are many here who are quite interested is seeing you gain entry into the Neutron Club. Good luck with your continued efforts!
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Welcome back Jamie. I must note that all posts in this forum that start a new thread must have an image attached, thus, the title Image Du Jour. You should have posted this in the general forum as your post was informational related to your trying to get back on line with your fusor with no image.

Richad Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Dave Xanatos

Post by Dave Xanatos »

Hi Jamie,

Don't fret over long intervals of being unavailable for fusor work. There are a lot of us out here who are working towards the Neutron Club, but life gets in the way. Everything from just plain work, to stacking cord wood for the winter, to completely having to replace the wood in the north-facing wall of your house because carpenter ants have eaten it into a sponge-like mass (see photo)... these things take precedence!

I'm wondering how a neutron beam would affect carpenter ant nests... hmmm...

Slow & steady wins the race.

Dave
CarpenterAntDamage.jpg
It would take decades of work, by thousands of scientists, in a particle accelerator powered by dump trucks of flaming grant money! - Professor Farnsworth/FUTURAMA
Bob Reite

Post by Bob Reite »

My further experiments have been delayed because of outside work that must get finished before the snow flies.
The more reactive the materials, the more spectacular the failures.
The testing isn't over until the prototype is destroyed.

Return to “Images du Jour”