End of HSC (Halted Specialties) electronics surplus store in Santa Clara, CA

Use this forum to offer / scavenge for fusor parts
Rich Feldman

End of HSC (Halted Specialties) electronics surplus store in Santa Clara, CA

Post by Rich Feldman » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:15 pm

Yesterday I stopped in at HSC, knowing that the owners had decided to close it down.
Signs announced that Saturday, January 12, is the last day of business for the retail store.
Hours still 8 to 7 M-F, 9 to 5 Saturday. http://www.halted.com

Inventory on the shelves looked a little bit depleted. Close-out sale discounts are 40% to 80% depending on the category.
Whatever doesn't sell in the next 3 days goes to some business buyer, to be sold online from some facility with lower rent.

I will miss that place, after being a customer for more than 35 years. Probably not more than 50 visits total, at their three addresses during that period. :-) Anchor Electronics is still in place, a mile or two away, for those who like to really see and touch things before buying them, and prefer to patronize a non-Fry's store.
Richard Feldman

ian_krase

Re: End of HSC (Halted Specialties) electronics surplus store in Santa Clara, CA

Post by ian_krase » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:28 pm

There's also someone called Excess Solutions, though they aren't nearly as good as Halted.

I'm sad.

Jerry Biehler

Re: End of HSC (Halted Specialties) electronics surplus store in Santa Clara, CA

Post by Jerry Biehler » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:48 am

I went there when I was down in the area summer of 2016 when they had just moved into the new location. Tiny and a lot of high prices. That and rent just squeezed them out. They offered to sell out to a friend of mine who runs SurplusGizmos up here but he just can't justify it.

I hit Excess Solutions when I am in the area as well, gotten some nice deals there.