What kind of connector is this?

Use this forum to offer / scavenge for fusor parts
Harald_Consul

What kind of connector is this?

Post by Harald_Consul » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:33 pm

Does anybody know, what kind of connector the right connector on the picture is?

It is larger in diameter than a BNC plug.

Maybe there is another version of this connector with another up to 7 pins, where the black holes are in this version. This would make up a possible maximum pin equipping of 12 pins for this kind of plug.

Rigaku2_Pic_Plugs2.jpg

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by Harald_Consul on Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Houston control, requesting to overfly the tower. Krrrr, krrrr. Can't hear you the radio is very bad, over.

ian_krase

Re: What kind of connector is this?

Post by ian_krase » Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:26 am

Not sure. Likely one of the milspec connectors which are well documented.

Rex Allers

Post by Rex Allers » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:59 am

If you don't have a reason to mate with that particular connector, most of us hackers would, at minimum open it up, look for color codes, etc.

Do you already know what the pin functions are?

You didn't tell us what's on the other end. That's the part you most need to figure out. After that, you can cut the cable and use whatever kind of connection you feel good about.
Rex Allers

Harald_Consul

Post by Harald_Consul » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:11 am

I have measured the connector with a sliding caliper, now.
  • The plug consists out of an outer ring and an inner ring (in which the pins a mounted).
  • The outer diameter of the outer ring is 14.0 mm.
  • The inner diameter of the inner ring is 7.5 mm (further diameters are tricky to measure).
  • The outer ring has some kind of striae on its surface and can pulled back 2 mm to untighten the plug.
  • The inner ring has some nipples on the outside for fixing the plug in a certain position.
  • The plug contains 5 pins (compare photo in the first posting).
  • The plug seems to be from a connector series with a maximum of 12 pins (there are further 7 unused holes in the middle of the plug).
Here comes another picture. In this picture the questioned plug is the one on the left side.

Rigaku2b_Pic_Plugs1.jpg
Houston control, requesting to overfly the tower. Krrrr, krrrr. Can't hear you the radio is very bad, over.

Harald_Consul

Post by Harald_Consul » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:26 am

It looks like Ebay does not know many mil spec connectors with 12 pins. And the ones it knows do not look like my one.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... 12-pole%29

John Futter

Post by John Futter » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:08 pm

Looks like a LEMO connector

Try RS components Circular connecotrs

Harald_Consul

Post by Harald_Consul » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:30 am

Thanks John.

Maybe it is not a LEMO 12 pin connector, which looks like this:

LEMO-3B-connector-12pin-Plug-socket.jpg

But your hint brought me on the right track. I guess now, it is a Hirose 12 pin connector

Hirose-Connector-12-pin-plug-HR10A-10P-12P.jpg

I've ordered two of these now to test it out.

Harald_Consul

Post by Harald_Consul » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:29 pm

Meanwhile I have received the shipment.

For the case someone will discover a connector like this one: I can confirm now, it is truly a Hirose adapter from the 12-pin series. The photoed male conector and the ordered female 12-pin Hirose connector do exactly fit together.

As the connector is pretty small, the 12 solder pins are pretty close together and not too handy to solder. Thus, I would have preferred a 5-Pin version like in my intial photo. But such one is not available.

However, I have decided for the mount version now, to assemble the whole connector adaption on a panel. Will look more professional.