[REQUEST] High voltage feedthrough

Use this forum to offer / scavenge for fusor parts
Ameen Aydan

[REQUEST] High voltage feedthrough

Post by Ameen Aydan » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:24 pm

Hello all!

After a long and well needed break, I'm back! I'm in desperate need of a high voltage feed through as all of my attempts in finding one have fallen through on several occasions. It's the last component to my vacuum system along with 4.5" to 2.75" which I also need. Does anybody have at least something to spare?

Ameen Aydan

Liam David

Re: [REQUEST] High voltage feedthrough

Post by Liam David » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:50 am

I would suggest building an HV feedthrough like Andrew Seltzman and I did using telescoping alumina tubes and a Swagelok end cap.

http://www.rtftechnologies.org/physics/ ... d-grid.htm
or
http://www.rtftechnologies.org/physics/ ... rid-v4.htm
for an updated, higher-capacity design

The version I've built handles 40kV until it starts to arc through, though if you use new, clean alumina tubes that smoothly fit inside each other, 50kV or more should be no problem. Cutting the alumina must be done with diamond-coated tools, but a dremel and cheap diamond cutoff wheel set (<$10) will do the trick. Total cost is ~$150 which is significantly less than most feedthroughs of comparable capacity on Ebay.

Feedthrough

Cross-section of the feedthrough

As for the 4.5" to 2.75" conflat, you can get a zero-length reducer from LDS for $85 and a conical or linear one for ~50% more.

Other than that it's the Ebay waiting game. I don't have any spares, sorry.

Good luck,
Liam David

Ameen Aydan

Re: [REQUEST] High voltage feedthrough

Post by Ameen Aydan » Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:41 am

Hi there!

I appreciate the kind words, but I'm in no position to make one. I've tried to understand this and many other designs and was about to order the parts but there are certain things I'm simply not sure of... Still though, thank you for your advice I will try and consider it.

Ameen Aydan