Extra tungsten possibly for sale

Use this forum to offer / scavenge for fusor parts
Leonardo Chen

Extra tungsten possibly for sale

Post by Leonardo Chen » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:43 am

Hello everybody, I recently have been trying to buy some tungsten filament for an inner grid, and I came upon a very cheap online website that specializes in tungsten items. However, the minimum price order is $40, which would be enough for 23 12” pieces. If anyone is interested in 0.0275” tungsten filament, I could possibly ship 1-5 strands to you for ~$10. Also, I have not ordered anything yet and you could request specific diameter tungsten if you wanted. It will take me 2-5 weeks to get it to you. If you have any questions, reply below.

Jeroen Vriesman

Re: Extra tungsten possibly for sale

Post by Jeroen Vriesman » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:13 pm

I have thoriated tungsten if you (or anyone else) needs it.

Jerry Biehler

Post by Jerry Biehler » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:01 am

You can also buy tungsten wire on ebay.

Samuel Low

Post by Samuel Low » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:11 am

How easy is it to fabricate with Tungsten Wire? I have been using stainless steel grids for lower voltage demo fusors. Would love to get my hands on tungsten, do drop me a message if you would be so kind as to deliver to Singapore :)
"Physicists are made of atoms." - Michio Kaku

ian_krase

Post by ian_krase » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:17 am

Tungsten is kind of a pain. Very stiff, very springy, and very brittle -- gets even more brittle (and less springy) after its been at white hot for a while. Will bend into very sharp, rigid bends... and also break if you bend it too far. Also kind of hard to cut -- one often ends up nicking it with diagonal cutters (this is hard on the cutters) and then snapping it. You will want to research seamless grid designs.

Very thin tungsten wires are hard on your fingers.

you are almost guaranteed to stab yourself with the sharp ends of wires. Be careful to keep the end taped down, otherwise it will springily unroll itself from the roll very rapidly.

Don't lick the tungsten.

In general, one spot-welds the tungsten to stainless steel conductors. I use a junktacular spot welder I DIYed out of a resistance soldering device from the early 1950s -- cost me all of 20 bucks. Everybody here told me t wouldn't work but it did. At least for small filaments.