Practical Gamma-Ray Spectrometry

A place to keep track of reference material - any particularly useful books, articles, etc. should be listed here.
Starfire

Post by Starfire »

Gordon Gilmore, John D. Hemingway
ISBN: 0-471-95150-1

John Wiley & Sons, Inc.

Practical Gamma-Ray Spectrometry is written with the user in mind and has the following benefits: *Mathematics are kept to a minimum throughout. *No previous knowledge of nuclear matters or instrumentation is assumed. *Detectors and their associated electronic systems are discussed. *Fault-finding guide ensures that any problems can be sorted out with the minimum of fuss. Practical Gamma-Ray Spectrometry will enable all those involved with radioactivity measurements to get the most from their equipment. It will also be of great value to teachers and students in departments where radioactivity is studied, such as physics, chemistry, environmental biology, archaeometry and radiochemistry.
Richard Hull

Re: Practical Gamma-Ray Spectrometry

Post by Richard Hull »

Really nice there John!!!........ Get us all pumped up about a cool book and it is on ABE from several booksellers for $284.00.
That is more money than I paid for the last car I bought!

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Starfire

Post by Starfire »

He he! - Just that I had John Hemingway - (one of the authors ) as a lecturer on a Neutron detection course at Liverpool Uni. last year. So just thought I would give the book a plug - the course was based on this book - A car is a means of transport and workhorse, not a status symbol . I appreciate your car logic Richard. I have been known to carry a 2000ltr oil tank on the roof-rack for seventy odd miles - what else to use it for? -- The book is very good, you will enjoy - there is always the local Library to sample first.
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

I appreciate the info on the book and I would love to have a copy. Text books and such are the biggest rackett in the world of education, though college tuitions are quickly catching up to highway robbery.

I paid $200.00/ semester in my state college system when I started back in 1963! Another $200.00 was needed for books and supplies. Thus $600.00/year was all I needed. ( I lived at home)

Of course, a low cost new car was about $2400.00 then. That would translate against a modern new low cost car of $15,000 to about $3600/ year today so college has really gone up. I doubt that even in a state college system and living at home that you could do college with books for $3600/ year today.

Books are a nice thing to have. Used, they can be a bargain. I might wait on this one to get into that status.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment

Return to “Books & References”