Modern Physical Laboratory Practice, by John Strong

A place to keep track of reference material - any particularly useful books, articles, etc. should be listed here.
AFW

Modern Physical Laboratory Practice, by John Strong

Post by AFW »

"Modern" as in 1938, but still a fascinating book for browsing. First published by Prentice Hall: my copy pub. by Blackie & Sons. Interesting chapters on many topics including Hi- vac. techniques, evaporation and sputtering, how to roll your own G-M tubes (doesn't look too difficult) and many others.
akshay.chandorkar1

Re: Modern Physical Laboratory Practice, by John Strong

Post by akshay.chandorkar1 »

I need the book for telescope makling. Please can you send me the ebook copy of the book?
Starfire

Post by Starfire »

The fundamental text book for telescope making [ 130MB ] ;-

http://star.arm.ac.uk/history/tat/tat.pdf

and the guy who wrote it;-

http://star.arm.ac.uk/history/moore/Part05.html

Armagh Observatory is a very old but a world famous observatory in Northern Ireland

Sir Patrick Moore was the director of the Armagh Planetarium (Northern Ireland) between 1965 and 1968
Doug Coulter

Post by Doug Coulter »

I have his Procedures in Experimental Physics from about the same time period.
It's one of my favorites, and has been republished by Lindsay, and so is still in print and at a nominal price, well worth it. It has some information on making telescope mirrors and other optics, glass blowing, vacuum thermopiles, optics, photography and much more.

I've been having lots of fun duplicating what was "rocket science" in 1938 here at the home shop. The only trouble is that many things now have to be searched out, as in you can't just go to the hardware store and get an A battery for its carbon rod, or window screen still made of metal and so on. Still way worth it.

The ISBN is 0-917914-56-2. Lindsay Publications is easy to find on Google, and has many books in the "lost technology" series.

It almost sounds like the same book described in the original post. I'd recommend it to everyone here as a fun read, and also very useful. I especially like one drawing of the lab assistant grinding a mirror, tongue held out just so, and with the sweat rolling off...
Why guess when you can know? Measure!

Return to “Books & References”