Uranium: War, Energy and the Rock That Shaped the World by Tom Zoellner

A place to keep track of reference material - any particularly useful books, articles, etc. should be listed here.
Todd Massure

Uranium: War, Energy and the Rock That Shaped the World by Tom Zoellner

Post by Todd Massure »

This is a new book out covering the history of uranium. I don't have any immediate plans to read it, but I thought some here might be interested.

Todd
Paul_Schatzkin
Site Admin

Re: Uranium: War, Energy and the Rock That Shaped the World by Tom Zoellner

Post by Paul_Schatzkin »

This author was on The Daily Show with Jon Stewart -- this week or maybe last week -- and it sounded like he'd crafted a very interesting story. There were some angles on the "crumbling rock" (as I think he called it) that sounded really intriguing. Sorta made me wish I'd thought of it (instead of chasing a ghost down a rabbit hole...)
Paul Schatzkin, aka "The Perfesser" – Founder and Host of Fusor.net
Author of The Boy Who Invented Television: 2023 Edition – https://amz.run/6ag1
"Fusion is not 20 years in the future; it is 60 years in the past and we missed it."
Richard Hull

Re: Uranium: War, Energy and the Rock That Shaped the World by Tom Zoellner

Post by Richard Hull »

I have read this book and it is a well done item as far as the facts go. He tells it the way it was with the natural slant and implication towards, "My goodness, we wouldn't do anything like that today." A bit whiney and greenish, but well done otherwise.

Authors know what they have to do today to get stuff published. Getting all puffed up about the past and decrying how horrid it all was is currently held in very high regard. We all know that we are so much better than "they" were back then. I get a bit frustrated when fact is served up with a heaping helping of "whine" and "bleeding heartism".

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment

Return to “Books & References”