Glasstone - Sourcebook on Atomic Energy

A place to keep track of reference material - any particularly useful books, articles, etc. should be listed here.
Richard Hull

Glasstone - Sourcebook on Atomic Energy

Post by Richard Hull »

This book may have been mentioned in passing already. It is less about atomic energy than about nuclear physics. First published in 1950, it's final edition was published in the late 60's. Easy to read with a minimal amount of mathematics, but just enough so that basic mathematical machinations by the amateur can be worked and grasped.

This is a fabulous reference work and is arranged in a bible like format so that reference notes are easy and instantly found. Each individual paragraph is numbered within each chapter. Thus, go to the large black 11.44 at the head of the 44th paragraph in the 11th chapter in the 1950 edition and you are referencing radiative neutron capture reaction information.

I dip back into it on a regular basis. My pages are dog-eared and have numerous slips of paper placed in the pages to mark critical information points. Easily located and quite inexpensive.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Jon Rosenstiel

Re: Glasstone - Sourcebook on Atomic Energy

Post by Jon Rosenstiel »

I'll second what Richard wrote. Over the years I've collected quite a few books on this subject and Glasstone's is always the first I pick up when trying to solve a puzzle.

Jon Rosenstiel

Return to “Books & References”