Transform your fusor in thruster, for a second life

Post links to other interesting fusion or alternate energy sites here.
Patrick Lindecker

Transform your fusor in thruster, for a second life

Post by Patrick Lindecker »

Hello,

Here is an interesting paper called "Breakthrough of Inertial Electrostatic Confinement Concept for Advanced Space Propulsion"
at: http://www.irs.uni-stuttgart".de/publikationen/IRS_Publikationen_Dateien/IAC-18C47-C3.512x47993_final.pdf

Patrick Lindecker
Dan Knapp

Re: Transform your fusor in thruster, for a second life

Post by Dan Knapp »

Patrick Lindecker

Post by Patrick Lindecker »

>Link has a typo
Yes you are right. TKS.
PazHeping

Post by PazHeping »

Und jetz die link ist kaput.
------
The less you bet, the more you lose when you win.
Justin Fozzard

Post by Justin Fozzard »

Here is a working link to the paper:

https://www.irs.uni-stuttgart.de/dokume ... _final.pdf
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

I think Miley or his group obtained some patents for space propulsion use of the fusor concept years ago. Lotta' good it did. Like most patents they languish and the specifics die on the vine. Others develop and think around the patent and get their patents and the clock usually runs out on them as well.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Bob Reite

Post by Bob Reite »

Someone once joked that a patent is a license to go to court (over patent infringement).
The more reactive the materials, the more spectacular the failures.
The testing isn't over until the prototype is destroyed.
Frank Sanns
Site Admin

Post by Frank Sanns »

Early on in life, I did a calculation that says it is impossible to go to the stars. Even the nearest.

The nearest start is around 4 light years away. That is really close by stellar distances. To get there in a few generations, say 100 years, how could it be done?

The simple equation for kinetic energy reveals why it is impossible. KE=1/2 mv^2. Put in 1/25th the speed of light to get there in 100 year. Use the mass of a very small ship like the space shuttle at launch 2x10^6 kg and you get an energy needed of 1.5x 10^20 Joules. This number is equal to the WORLD energy use for an entire year.

Excluded was the extra weight of the fuel, time to accelerate, and deceleration energy and time required.

With all of the extra mass needed to accelerate a tiny craft like the space shuttle to get there in 100 years, it is clear that going faster with any kind of drive engine is futile as my calculations were based on 100% conversion of fuel energy into velocity.

We are stuck on this water planet save for possible trips to the nearest of the planets no matter what the source of fuel is, even nuclear or antimatter.
Achiever's madness; when enough is still not enough. ---FS
We have to stop looking at the world through our physical eyes. The universe is NOT what we see. It is the quantum world that is real. The rest is just an electron illusion. ---FS
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Frank, I agree! I would think that even the meanest intelligence trained in only a modicum of physics doing what you did at a tender age would have to agree. I did the same but in late high school as part of my "rocket club" musings. At a continuous 1 g acceleration to the mid point, followed by a 1 g deceleration. Makes a nice earth like gravity all the way there and it would be very doable save for the energy needed over the entire trip to make it comfortable. Then there is the mass of the ship, the supplies and water needed to sustain the crew. All un-doable.

I loved the movie "passengers", the ship was equipped with a thought for hitting space junk at sub light speeds. Unfortunately the mass and numbers of the junk was a bit overwhelming for their "shield"....

Richard Hull.
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment

Return to “Interesting Links”