Tom Lehrer's element song

Post links to other interesting fusion or alternate energy sites here.
Richard Hull

Tom Lehrer's element song

Post by Richard Hull »

Here is a link to the rather well done 1950's element song by Tom Lehrer. The animation that has been added is really cool too.

As an element collector I can identify. Regardless, this 1950s and 60s multi-talented, Havard, mathematician was a multi-talented guy, indeed.

The song is from his 1959 album, "An Evening Wasted with Tom Lehrer" The tune is by Sir Arthur Sullivan of Gilbert and Sullivan and was from their humorous opera, Pirates of Penzance - The major Genral's song. Lehrer highjacked the melody and put in the elements. What a mouth full. He doesn't miss a one.

He made an artform of highjacking melody's and putting words to them that were a social commentary on the times and satirical of many world events. Among my favorites, in addition to the element song, were, New Math, The Wild West is Where I Wanna Be and So Long Mom.

Element Song

http://www.privatehand.com/flash/elements.html

New Math

http://curvebank.calstatela.edu/newmath/newmath.htm

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Jon Rosenstiel

Re: Tom Lehrer's element song

Post by Jon Rosenstiel »

An oldie but goodie! And just to show how demented I am, I've got the complete Tom Lehrer collection. (Courtesy of my brother).

Some of my other favorites...
Poisoning Pigeons in the Park.
We Will All Go Together When We Go.
The Masochism Tango.
Oedipus Rex

Jon Rosenstiel
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Dementia, in various forms, certainly flows through this group like juice through a main electrical conduit. I was not the least bit surprised to hear you had the collection. Others might wish to keep the fact that they also possess such things quiet, but you poked your head up, as did I.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
DaveC

Post by DaveC »

A refreshing zani-ness.... a breath of fresh air. Thanks Richard. I am not sure where I first heard the element song, but it was a long time ago...Never knew the source...nice to "meet: the author...er ... composer..

Dave Cooper
John Futter

Post by John Futter »

Tom's satirical wit was only excelled by his knowledge in physics and maths. I read about him in the book Deep Blue which is a commentary of the Bell labs discovery of the transistor. Tom did the math to explain the transistor and what the other three could expect. I understand that when Henry Kissenger got the noble peace prize Tom said" thats the ultimate bit of satire" and gave up public performances.

Return to “Interesting Links”