The next wonder of the world?

Post links to other interesting fusion or alternate energy sites here.
Richard Hull

Re: The next wonder of the world?

Post by Richard Hull »

Brian and Marvin have it correct.

Brian, in that any load of surface markers and graphics would turn it into a media event and tourist site for acheologist types 5,000 years from now.

Marvin, in that only a deep unmarked hole that only a technologically advanced effort could reach would be better.

Solution: A deep, but surface unmarked, massive hole. Once loaded with rad goodie in need of entombment, place a giant metallic laden cover with all the graphics cast into the metal and concrete lid right at the entrance to the rad chamber, still very deep. Fill the hole with dirt, plant trees and shrubs.

A bury and forget deal.

Over time, any one left in future to dig at a low technology level would never intrude. Higher futuristic technologies hitting the great depth would certainly know about radiation and ultimately interpret the symbols and read the rads.

Hell,.... our rad waste could be a future windfall for some super advanced civilization.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Brian McDermott

Post by Brian McDermott »

Whatever barrier was placed over the repository chamber whould have to be designed to chew up any drill head that touched it. Some speculate that old tires and steel wire might work, or a plate of steel or Titanium. The thing is, if placed too deep, the weight of the drill column would be enough to penetrate it. If too shallow, the barrier would be mined and exploited as a resource.
Starfire

Post by Starfire »

The solution is a solar dump - we only need have temporary storage and wait until we have fusion cracked - we will have ample energy to transfer tons of the stuff from Earth surface to the Helio planes.
AnGuy

Post by AnGuy »

FWIW: I believe there is already a practical solution. The spent rods can be encasulated in obsidian glass which renders it virtually inert. The reason why this isn't on the list, is that many of the powers that be, expect that we will recycle the spend fuel rods as the price of uranium rises. Why throw away a resource worth tens or perhaps even hundreds of billions?

I think the idea of spending billions on storage to throw away a valuable resource is just silly. We should be putting those dollars to work by buiding new reprocessing plants, so when the Uranium shortages arrive we'll have plenty of fuel to keep the lights on.

>I think a hole should be drilled in a tectonic subduction zone. A nuclear bomb should be detonated at the bottom of the hole to open up a cavity and all of the high level radioactive waste should be put into the cavity

I think there probably is a good chance of trigging a major earthquake doing that. I believe there is an international ban on using nukes for construction projects.

Return to “Interesting Links”