Klein and FPG - IEC Fusion Power Company?

Post links to other interesting fusion or alternate energy sites here.
mheslep

Klein and FPG - IEC Fusion Power Company?

Post by mheslep »

Does anyone here know anything about Alex Klein and/or FPG? Bio says he used to work with Bussard and Krall at EMC2. As far as I know this would be the worlds only (current) IEC fusion company.

http://www.fpgeneration.com/id5.html
Steven Sesselmann

Re: Klein and FPG - IEC Fusion Power Company?

Post by Steven Sesselmann »

Just because they have a company doesn't mean that they have funding or capital. I imagine that they are hoping for someone to fund their idea. in the mean time a company is a good place to accumulate tax losses from all those lab expenses.

They are not giving away to much info, but I couldn't see anything too revolutionary in their idea. Adding a magnet or two to a Hirsch-Meeks fusor isn't going to make a power station.

(In my opinion)

Steven
http://www.gammaspectacular.com - Gamma Spectrometry Systems
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Steven_Sesselmann - Various papers and patents on RG
Mike Beauford

Post by Mike Beauford »

It looks like this guy is going to combine all the known tuning features that have been found in the last 10 years and roll them into one IEC machine.

Build a POPS type machine that...

- Makes the grids transparent by using a multi-grid approach for focusing the electron beams so they don't strike the grids. (No or very low grid losses)

- Use a electromagnet either inside or outside (a.k.a.) similar to the experiments in Dr. Miley's lab at U of I Urbana where they used one to concentrate the recirculation of electrons.

- The last point they make regarding non-ideal orbit extraction of ions at low energy I'm not familiar with.

Interesting never the less. I wonder if they've secured funding. The race is on...

Wow! And I thought I was the only one building something like this.
Mike Beauford
mheslep

Post by mheslep »

Mike Beauford wrote:
> It looks like this guy is going to combine all the known tuning features that have been found in the last 10 years and roll them into one IEC machine.

> - Use a electromagnet either inside or outside (a.k.a.) similar to the experiments in Dr. Miley's lab at U of I Urbana where they used one to concentrate the recirculation of electrons.
Yeah thats the 1st thing that came to mind when I read that, though the details are zip (no patent record either?)

> Interesting never the less. I wonder if they've secured funding. The race is on...
Heh, for how long? I couldnt devine any time lines as to how long they've been at this - started last week or last century? Why even put up the opaque web site?

Falstaff
Mike Beauford

Post by Mike Beauford »

My crystal ball says...

that they've done some rough calculations on paper and found that they're within striking distance for a Q >= 1 IF they use a modified POPS model with a twist, probably 1 or more pulsed RF waves super imposed on one another to get a larger compression ratio (10,000 - 20,000 if their calculations are correct). Also, going out on a limb, I'm guessing they're probably going to go with a cylindrical device (easier to configure and focus) and they've figured out a way on paper to bottle up the ends magnetically with little or no losses. I'm also guessing the prototype will be between 1-2 meters in length, and about .5 - 1 meter diameter, and if they use anuetronic fuels, they've got an Alpha collector worked out to snag the power. I guess they only have to prove that it produces a Q greater than or near 1 to be a success, not actually have a working power generation system.

P.S. - But alas, I think I'm falling prey to Richard Hull's skepticism. I want to believe, but I guess they're going to have to prove to me that it will work. Other than that, I'd say it be a really neat experiment to work on. I'm actively going in the same direction. :)
Mike Beauford
Nanos

Post by Nanos »

It will be interesting to watch them (googling at the moment their company name gives two pages of hits.) and see if they can raise funding or not.

They certainly look the part, the website is neat and tidy, with the best colour scheme in my view.

Though one of them might want to tidy up their personal website a little and remove certain offending sentances before the general press notice.
djolds1

Post by djolds1 »

Mike Beauford wrote:

> I'd say it be a really neat experiment to work on. I'm actively going
> in the same direction. :)

Interesting. Can you make details available?

Duane
Mike Beauford

Post by Mike Beauford »

> Interesting. Can you make details available?
>
> Duane

Other than to say I'm going to be doing the same thing they(Klein and FPG) are trying to do, incorporating all the information in the links within this thread (viewtopic.php?f=14&t=6753#p42436) into my fusor. They are basically using all that information as are several research groups around the world to build this thing. Right now I'm working on the power supply for the focusing grids.

Good luck!
Mike Beauford
mheslep

Post by mheslep »

Nice crystal ball!

> My crystal ball says...
>
> that they've done some rough calculations on paper and found that they're within striking distance for a Q >= 1 IF they use a modified POPS model with a twist, probably 1 or more pulsed RF waves super imposed on one another
Yep.
>to get a larger compression ratio (10,000 - 20,000 if their calculations are correct). Also, going out on a limb, I'm guessing they're probably going to go with a cylindrical device (easier to configure and focus)
Maybe/Yep. I doubt 10k as the Nebel '07 paper said you can't cancel out the space charge - unless - you use a cylindrical
>and they've figured out a way on paper to bottle up the ends magnetically with little or no losses.
I think the B field would be for more focus ala Miley. I dont think anybody can magnetically seal a cylindrical bottle - it was tried for years and nobody got close.
>I'm also guessing the prototype will be between 1-2 meters in length, and about .5 - 1 meter diameter, and if they use anuetronic fuels, they've got an Alpha collector worked out to snag the power.
Yep
DaveC

Post by DaveC »

This site is a "lightning rod" to attract investor funding.

With no hardware to demonstrate, and no requirement for a patent to show hardware that works, they have nothing at this stage but an address, and an idea.

Whether their concept has merit, remains to be seen.

Dave Cooper
djolds1

Post by djolds1 »

Mike Beauford wrote:

> Other than to say I'm going to be doing the same thing they
> (Klein and FPG) are trying to do, incorporating all the information
> in the links within this thread (viewtopic.php?f=14&t=6753#p42436) > into my fusor. They are basically using all that information as
> are several research groups around the world to build this thing.

IEC is starting to look far more promising for actual Q>1 or better
than I was thinking even a few months back.

> Right now I'm working on the power supply for the focusing grids.
>
> Good luck!

Ditto. :)

Duane

Return to “Interesting Links”