FAQ - View windows your fusor - safety first

If you have a question about this topic, the answer is probably in here!
Bob Reite

Re: FAQ - View windows your fusor - safety first

Post by Bob Reite »

Leaded glass view ports and add on lead glass disks are available. But it will cost about $100.00 more, so a standard viewport and a CCD camera is the least expensive alternative.
The more reactive the materials, the more spectacular the failures.
The testing isn't over until the prototype is destroyed.
Richard Hull

Re: FAQ - View windows your fusor - safety first

Post by Richard Hull »

Pictures are worth a thousand words. Attached is my arrangement for all to consider.

1. I pointed my 3/4 inch diamter 2.75 conflat mounted, pyrex, window down at the concrete lab floor. (Part of physical placement design of the fusor, itself.) Thus, the x-rays blast down into the floor.
2. Small board camera is a common $40.00 color CCD type with 12 volts in and video out. Its lens is mashed into contact with the window and focused on the grid. A cylinder of copper surrounds the camera.
3. Under tha camera is a 1/2' thick disc of poured lead. This absorbs most of the x-radiation and scatters some as well. Scatter is not significant.
4. The camera's video output is run to a small common video monitor that I picked up at a hamfest for $25.00.

The first image shows the setup in operation with the video monitor placed right at the control panel for easy control and viewing purposes.
The second image is a close up of the camera assmebly.

Click on images to enlarge.

Richard Hull
Attachments
Shielded camera in painted copper shell looks at grid and sits on lead absorber base.
Shielded camera in painted copper shell looks at grid and sits on lead absorber base.
darked lab shot with instruments aglow.  note video image of grid for control purposes.
darked lab shot with instruments aglow. note video image of grid for control purposes.
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment

Return to “FAQs: Fusor Construction & Operation”