FAQ: Neon transformer wiring diagram - demo fusor

If you have a question about this topic, the answer is probably in here!
Matthew Michalewicz

Re: FAQ: Neon transformer wiring diagram - demo fusor

Post by Matthew Michalewicz »

Alright, I was just making sure there wasn't anything I was missing. Thank you Richard!
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Updated this thread with the first post's addition of the most simple possible demo fusor power supply diagram as well as a much more involved and complex hookup for those who might want to be in the plasma club with metering and filtering added and current limiting for a final supply that can even do fusion in future. July 2023

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

I recently lost a HV diode in my bridge circuit (second time. Getting old. Haven't bothered to fix it with so much going on.)

Having a Neon Sign Transformer (NST) makes determining the bad diode rather simple. Just hook up one side of the NST output to my fusor input HV cable, and measure the diodes in the bridge.

So besides use as a demo power supply, a NST is extremely useful for testing very HV diodes (20 kV.) With a variac, could be used for lower voltage (1 kV and up) diodes, as well.

Return to “FAQs: High Voltage”