FAQ- regulations

If you have a question about this topic, the answer is probably in here!
Hayabusa

Re: FAQ- regulations

Post by Hayabusa »

"After all, one can count the number of known operational amateur fusors in the US on two hands."

Do you know if there are any in operation in Canada?

Rog
Brian McDermott

Post by Brian McDermott »

To the best of my knowledge, there are currently 15 people on the "Neutron Club" list, and I believe only 8 of them are still doing fusion. All but 2 were in the United States, the other two being in Spain and the UK, respectively.

It is unlikely that there are any more than 20 additional amateur fusors worldwide, but I can't comment as to where they might be.
johnp

Post by johnp »

On a search for neutron detection I ran across this old thread and I froze. A week ago I was approached by the campus radio station to do an interview about our 'interesting project', and I'd bring a physics student or two to talk about it. I thought, great publicity for the department. Now I'm thinking, I should either forget about the interview or be careful to not mention fusi*n, neutr*ns, etc, and concentrate on plasma and the excitement of building something cool.

Our university has no RSO anymore, and nothing hotter than a few button sources or radioactive minerals. We got rid of the hotter stuff years ago - we couldn't justify the expense of licensing.

Or is this an over reaction? I mean, there wasn't any bad fallout for the fusioneers after the WSJ article...
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

We have had fusor folks on TV, Radio, and in many national publications and published books, all with zero detremental results. The neutrons in a fusing fusor, especially a first pass item are not of any concern as most newbies first fusion is very weak. Even the most successful assemblies often require no shielding as the exposure time is just minutes.

It is your call on the public exposure.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment

Return to “FAQs: Neutron - Radiation Detection”