FAQ - Gamma Bubble detector - BTI

If you have a question about this topic, the answer is probably in here!
Richard Hull

FAQ - Gamma Bubble detector - BTI

Post by Richard Hull »

Refer also to:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=5715#p34159

Bubble Technology Inc., BTI, now offers the model BD-GAMMA, gamma ray bubble detector. The price is in the $70-$80 range as of this writing. Shipping for 1-10 is ~ $65.00!!!

I now own one of these detectors, having purchased one at my 2006 HEAS flea market a fellow who had several.

**************What will a gamma bubble detector do for me??*****************

They will detect gamma radiation and nothing else.

Advantages

1. Very easy to use
2. Absolutely noise immune (laughs at explosive EMI and deadly RF pulses)
3. Variable sensitivity possible with temperature
4. Lightweight, small, ultra portable, no batteries or power needed to operate.

Disadvantages

1. Very pricey considering the shipping expense
2. Impossible to gain any sort of quantitive exposure data only qualitative data.
3. Temperature dependent operation (slugish to non-responsive when cold.)
4. Lifespan limited (chemically)
5. Short time lapse needed between count runs (~2 minutes)

Personal use experience

I have found that within a narrow temperature range, the sensitivity of the device will be enhanced by using it while slightly above 80 degrees.

Around a 20mr/hr gamma source, and at 85 degrees, bubbles would pop into existence at the rate of about 2-3 per second!!!

NOTE I am told that one whould not unduly "flood" any bubble detector with bubbles. Allow between 5 and 35 bubbles. With too many bubbles, the device will not reset quickly.

The great wonder of this device is that with no batteries or power you can remove from your shirt pocket a device that will advise you rather quickly with a simple yes or no answer to the question; "do I have gamma rays present"? With some use. it can also tell you if you have an intense source or just a small one.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Carl Willis

Re: FAQ - Gamma Buble detector - BTI

Post by Carl Willis »

Thanks for the FAQ on this product, which still is not mentioned on BTI's website.

I purchased one of these as well, and the coolness factor is through the roof. When placed in a strong gamma field (such as that around a 10 microcurie radium source), it appears to boil and emits a sound like frying bacon! ("This is your brain on gamma rays....") It can be challenging to squeeze the bubbles back out if it picks up a great number in one exposure. I have also found that my environment is usually too cold for it, even indoors. Putting it in a pocket for a few minutes prior to use will warm it up.

You might want to add, Richard, that the gamma unit is also sensitive to neutrons and to betas. This last is not mentioned anywhere, but must be the case for betas that can get through the thin plastic container.

Any idea what the life expectancy of the gamma detector is?

-Carl
Carl Willis
http://carlwillis.wordpress.com/
TEL: +1-505-412-3277
Richard Hull

Re: FAQ - Gamma Buble detector - BTI

Post by Richard Hull »

Thanks Carl for reminding me about the neutrons and beta. I will do some quick tests and update the FAQ based on the findings.

I forgot about our quick tests at the bench in the lab last Saturday. These are pretty cool.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment

Return to “FAQs: Neutron - Radiation Detection”