FAQ - Neutron-detection videos

If you have a question about this topic, the answer is probably in here!
Carl Willis

FAQ - Neutron-detection videos

Post by Carl Willis » Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:46 am

Having made my YouTube debut a couple days ago with a little capacitance demonstration clip, I've moved forward with a couple other movies that treat the subject of neutron detection via quick demonstrations.

I think some people here may find them informative, or even entertaining (although I admit my tone and pacing is pedantic throughout and they're all unscripted one-takes with rough spots).

How to set up a proportional detector to count neutrons:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skP3SWWR9Kw

The effects of moderators / reflectors on detector sensitivity to fast neutrons:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okN3SmsoXmk

The neutron absorption properties of cadmium:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--5gNxKVqFU

(Best seen in order I think.)

-Carl
Carl Willis
http://carlwillis.wordpress.com/
TEL: +1-505-412-3277

RobertTubbs

Re: Neutron-detection videos

Post by RobertTubbs » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:25 am

Beautiful demo's Carl!

Very interesting, I never thought the detectors would be that fancy as far as the electronics go.
My only experience with neutron detection is silver activation so you'll have to forgive me for still being in the dark ages. It's very exciting to actually see the whole setup and not just a picture of a tube and moderator parked next to a fusor, it helps those of us stuck imagining a black box see inside.

Thank you for sharing,
RT

Starfire

Post by Starfire » Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:39 pm

Excellent Carl - much needed education.

richnormand

Post by richnormand » Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:49 pm

Nice work on the videos.
Thks.

Steven Sesselmann

Post by Steven Sesselmann » Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:21 pm

Carl,

Great informative videos, a must see for newbies.

Steven
http://www.gammaspectacular.com - Gamma Spectrometry Systems
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Steven_Sesselmann - Various papers and patents on RG

Doug Coulter

Post by Doug Coulter » Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:58 pm

Very nice Carl, this kind of thing is needed, even by not-noobs, and you pretty much hammer the issues, even for those who like me, like to homebrew the electronics rather than depend on on uncertain surplus gear. I just got a 3 foot 3he tube and built electronics for it myself, and this is *dead on* information. Great!

I got a laugh on your hot rock, I've got one too, and it destroys a normal geiger counter, kind of surprised your fingers didn't smoke a little after handling it ;~). I guess you didn't want to show the refined stuff, and I'd be all ears on how to do that -- not just the U, but any daughters in that stuff, which are copious and much more interesting sometimes.

Good work, man, keep it up. A lot of people need to see this kind of thing on this practical basis.

And the video was good enough that I could read all your dials for info on how to do my home-brew stuff better. So it serves more purposes than maybe anticipated.

I'll be glad when my own videos are only "this rough" and I don't yet do youtube here, we just pass them among our local group email. Be nice if we could fit this kind of thing on our home forum, but I suppose that's a money issue. I'd kick in some to get that to happen, anyone else?
Why guess when you can know? Measure!

Richard Hull
Site Admin

Post by Richard Hull » Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:49 pm

Carl,

I have edited your title. It is now a FAQ so folks can pick it up in a FAQ general search.

This is a fanatastic addition to the Radiation forum. A super plus ultra, AAA+++ on your part for the newbs and those wondering about any neutron and detection related issues.

Glad to have this kind of stuff posted here. If pictures are worth a thousand words, video how-to's are at 10e6 levels. Some people need pedantic and can learn no other way.

Most everyone here will never have the materials, source or detector that Carl illustrates, but the technique is the same regardless of gear, detector or moderator.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

Mike Beauford

Re: FAQ - Neutron-detection videos

Post by Mike Beauford » Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:22 pm

Hi Carl,

Excellent video! I learned more in the couple of minutes of video then I have trolling through the fusor archives. Thanks again and keep up the great work!

Mike Beauford
Mike Beauford

Frank Sanns
Site Admin

Post by Frank Sanns » Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:33 pm

Nice Carl!

Would you care to comment on the effects on count rate of using graphite instead of HDPE? Or beryllium instead of HDPE.

Is there anything at all to be gained by using 1" of HDPE close to the source and another different "reflective" material backing it?

FS

Doug Coulter

Post by Doug Coulter » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:01 pm

Yes, as great as this is,

interposed moderator would be a nice addition, and some tests of other types.
For example, I have a ton of PVC. Would be be good, or not? How about wax? And so on.

Since you have the setup just right to make that kind of test, why not add another chapter?

If I understand correctly, for silver activation you don't quite want to get all the way to thermal neutrons, so some indication of the ideal moderator for that would be very cool, too.

Oh, and BillF says thanks too -- this cleared some things up for him.
Well done!
Why guess when you can know? Measure!