FAQ - Neutron-detection videos

If you have a question about this topic, the answer is probably in here!
DaveC

Re: FAQ - Neutron-detection videos - another one

Post by DaveC »

Carl -

These are quite good. You have a clear and unhurried style of explaining that's very easy to follow.

These make a very useful addition to all the basic information that's on the site.

Thanks for taking the effort to organize them and putting them up for all to see.

Dave Cooper
Richard Hull

Re: FAQ - Neutron-detection videos - another one

Post by Richard Hull »

More superb work by a superb researcher and and sharer of good info.

Another three or four atta' boys for Carl.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
hjerald1

Re: FAQ - Neutron-detection videos

Post by hjerald1 »

Interesting videos Carl. Thanks for posing them.
Your radiomanganese clip reminds me of an anecdote from the 1980s when I was doing neutron activation analysis of some geological samples using the U of Utah research reactor. I was handling the irradiated polyethylene sample capsules and transferring them into the gamma ray spectrometer with my bare hands. Perhaps not the optimal technique but then those were the good old days.
Jerry
Steven Sesselmann

Post by Steven Sesselmann »

Carl,

I am trying to replicate the setup that you are doing on the video. I have the identical He3 tube with a Cremat charge sensitive preamp, but unfortunately I don't have a hot gamma source or a sealed neutron source.

I have the He3 tube connected to the preamp, and set to 1500V, and the output from the preamp plugged into my oscilloscope, and I get absolutely nothing but a straight line.

Can this be right?

Shouldn't I at least get some slight background clicks?

The amp seems to work, because if I just move my finger close to the HV connection the scope immediately shows a strong signal.

So my question....Is it likely that the tube is dead, or is this normal?

A tiny neutron source would have been terrific.

Steven
http://www.gammaspectacular.com - Gamma Spectrometry Systems
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Steven_Sesselmann - Various papers and patents on RG
Doug Coulter

Post by Doug Coulter »

You should at least see some big ones from cosmic rays....something isn't right.
Why guess when you can know? Measure!
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Not a lot to go on here except the preamp seems to be on.

What is the value and voltage standoff of the input capacitor?

The tube might be dead if it is surplus. Does it have a pressure indication on the label?
What about a voltage range or figure on the label?

You sort of have to have at least a nice hot piece of U ore!

I hope your scope is a DSO so that you can single shot capture any large cosmics. If not, then you might miss them on an old analog scope in auto roll mode.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Polyethylene is the overall best moderator for the amateur and a, "right on its butt", second would be Paraffin wax which is much easier to obtain, but is a fire hazard in the amounts needed. There is no nearby third choice compared to these two.

You should really strive for the P.E. at a local plastics distributor. Some vendors are happy to sell, at low cost, odd ball cutoff chunks that are no longer of much value. thiese can be stacked and mounded up to make all manner of useful and efficient neutron ovens, caves and howitzers.

Richard Hull

Return to “FAQs: Neutron - Radiation Detection”