Greetings from Virginia Tech

Please take a moment to introduce yourself in this forum and tell us about your interest. You must use your full real name. We do not allow the used of "handles" and pseudonyms on this site.
KalebWagar

Greetings from Virginia Tech

Post by KalebWagar »

Hello!

I'm Kaleb, a Physics undergrad at Virginia Tech in Blacksburg, VA. At some point after acquiring my diploma from Tech, I plan to specialize in plasmadynamics/magnetohydrodynamics and its associated subjects. A steady, neutron producing fusor will be a great first step toward that goal, and a fun side project for the next few semesters. I am presently in the early planning stages for this fusor, and am absolutely ecstatic that I stumbled onto the FAQs on this forum. I have many questions about this process, and I'm excited to get started on this project.

I'm not particularly skilled at welding or other precise machine work, but I'm recruiting some friends of mine to help teach and guide me in the areas I lack.

Now, a quick question: Would it be worth the effort to model the fusor setup in, say, AutoCad or Inventor before construction?

Thanks! Now, back to rereading the FAQs for useful tidbits I missed. [ ' v' ]
Dennis P Brown

Re: Greetings from Virginia Tech

Post by Dennis P Brown »

Hello and welcome. When you start your graduate work in physics after getting your undergraduate degree I do hope you pursue plasma physics; while only Europe offers any real opportunities in power related fusion for graduates, I do hope that will change once the German's Stellarator project demonstrates success.

Before starting your fusor project, really read the power supply section FAQ's. That is a major issue for someone wanting to do real fusion (i.e. get a significant neutron flux.) Getting a power supply for real fusion can be a challenge.

Do ask your question in one of the forums so people can answer it. The intro section is not for questions/answers.

Return to “Please Introduce Yourself”