Greetings from Austria

Please take a moment to introduce yourself in this forum and tell us about your interest. You must use your full real name. We do not allow the used of "handles" and pseudonyms on this site.
Clemens Hofmann

Greetings from Austria

Post by Clemens Hofmann »

Hey everybody my name is Clemens, I´m a 17 years old student from Austria and I am planning to make a small fusion reactor. Ive been on here as a guest for quite a while and I guess its best to start with a demo reactor, yet I am trying to plan it, so it can be taken on a higher level with not too many modifications. Its kind of busy rn so I will just start to collect materials. I am going to buy an old 2 stage pump from a local company first and experiment around a little with vacuums and maybe use my basic electronic knowledge to create the high voltage with scrap materials before I really start working on this project. But thanks for this great forum, this is a n awesome way to learn about physics and electronics!
Clemens Hofmann

Re: Greetings from Austria

I looked arround and found an old TV in our attic, yet it runs with 60 Watts and the maximum voltage of the flyback transformer is I think around 25kHz with just 1,6 mA so I think I am going to search for an old microwave and cascade the voltage up. I have never build a cascade im my life before so I think Im going to try it in small, then maybe with a Neon transformator to get a demo fusor before I start with the real deal
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

All sounds good but be careful; those types of x-formers are very deadly. Be safe and smart. Best of luck. I built a large voltage multiplier recently (posted photo's) using a microwave x-former and door knob caps and it goes over 50 kV (of course, the current is just a pulse system.)
Clemens Hofmann

Thanks for the advice I already happened to look at your multiplier and i think that this is really the way Im going to take to reach the fusion requirements. Im going to take a lot of precautions and start slowly though, first getting used to handle HV.
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

Such a high voltage multiplier system based on a microwave x-former isn't useful for fusor fusion; maybe a very high frequency x-former with fast caps (see what others post on that subject.) My system is designed for an accelerator (and is also designed to reach over 100 kV but just to charge a sphere. That has been sidelined as I run my fusor system.)

Designing and building such a HV multiplier system has merit as far as gaining experience. Further, such a system can be done just for fun but is not suitable for a fusor. I built a fusor power supply using a heavy 30 kV high current x-former but that isn't easy to do since such x-formers are rare finds.
Clemens Hofmann

Mr Brown thanks a lot for your advice, it really helps me a lot,

I am going to take a good look at the forum, rethink everything and try to come up with a good solution for my problems. Buying such a transformer is propably not going to be an option because I am quite limited in my ressources. My parents dont support most of my experimentation. My mom even took away all my acids with the justification that "I am going to blind myself with them". Just because it said acid on it.

I thought about rewinding the ferrit cores of the MOTs , yet I still have to plan this whole thing out and take a better look on how to rectify and smooth out everything at these HVs.
Werner Engel

Post by Werner Engel »

Hallo Clemens!

A loud welcome from Austria - to Austria!
Have fun building you fusor.

BR, Werner

Return to “Please Introduce Yourself”