G'day from Noosa, Australia

Please take a moment to introduce yourself in this forum and tell us about your interest. You must use your full real name. We do not allow the used of "handles" and pseudonyms on this site.
Adrian Hindes

G'day from Noosa, Australia

Post by Adrian Hindes »

Hello folks,

So it's about time I made an account and embark upon my quest for tabletop fusion. I'm currently a Grade 12 student in Noosa, Australia, and I've been interested in fusion for a number of years now. It's been my go to topic for projects and assignments at school, but it's not until recently that I decided I should commit to building a fusor already. I had some lab experience at the Nuclear Science and Engineering Department at MIT for a science summer camp on CRUD Resistant Materials for Pressurized Water Reactors, and I got to do some hands on experimental physics/material science. I also visited the Alcator C-Mod Tokomak at MIT, which was really damn ******* awesome...so needless to say I've got a bit of motivation.

From that, I'm feeling pretty confident I can take on a fusor project, so I'm currently going through reading the resources and FAQ material (yes I've paid attention to your cries), and figuring out what I have at my disposal already and what I'll need to scrounge up. I'm in my last term at school right now (Australian schools follow the actual year, how logical), and with the collaboration of a younger student who is also interested in a fusor project, and the support of the science faculty, I'm hoping to get something working by the end of the year.

I'm also in contact with the folks at University of Sydney which have been doing some electrostatic confinement fusion research. I'll probably go bugging the local uni's and University of Queensland over in Brisbane for some deuterium (or at least discount heavy water) soon. Advice for bugging science faculties is appreciated.

Cheers!

-A
JakeJHecla

Re: G'day from Noosa, Australia

Post by JakeJHecla »

Good luck with your efforts. Sounds like you are well prepared for your project.

Just curious, what lab did you work in at MIT? I was a UROP in Mike Short's lab last year, and there was a CRUD growth project going over the summer.
Adrian Hindes

Re: G'day from Noosa, Australia

Post by Adrian Hindes »

JakeJHecla wrote:Good luck with your efforts. Sounds like you are well prepared for your project.

Just curious, what lab did you work in at MIT? I was a UROP in Mike Short's lab last year, and there was a CRUD growth project going over the summer.
Oh well how about that? Yes I was placed in Mike's Lab over the summer this year! The CRUD project is still continuing, they've got the big loop going now if you heard about that.

Return to “Please Introduce Yourself”