Hello from Asheboro, NC

Please take a moment to introduce yourself in this forum and tell us about your interest. You must use your full real name. We do not allow the used of "handles" and pseudonyms on this site.
Arvin Singh

Hello from Asheboro, NC

Post by Arvin Singh »

Hi, we are a group of 6 people in 8th grade:
Arvin Singh
Drew Shelton
Lucas Wright
Anuragh Sriram
George Kearns
Aron McClintock

We have been planning this for 2-3 months now and we are going to start building soon.
Arvin Singh

Re: Hello from Asheboro, NC

Post by Arvin Singh »

Also earlier this year we were going to build a particle accelerator but I decided that a fusion reactor released more energy anyways and the energy given of as gamma rays would be enough to create antimatter. I want to image the radiation with a cloud chamber.
Paul_Schatzkin
Site Admin

Post by Paul_Schatzkin »

Re: the registration and login protocols for this new member:

I exchanged several messages with Arvin (or was it Ari?) Singh over the past couple of days asking how his group could register for the forums.

I told them it would be OK to do it this way – use this one name as a proxy for the entire group, but sign the messages with the name of whoever is posting the actual messages (if it's somebody different than either Arvin or Ari).

It's a unique situation, but I don't think it will cause any problems. They seem like earnest and respectful kids and should be a valuable new addition to our fold.

And yeah, I've been real quiet this year, it's just been... a strange one personally.

--PS
Paul Schatzkin, aka "The Perfesser" – Founder and Host of Fusor.net
Author of The Boy Who Invented Television: 2023 Edition – https://amz.run/6ag1
"Fusion is not 20 years in the future; it is 60 years in the past and we missed it."
Grigory_Heaton

Post by Grigory_Heaton »

Welcome to the forum. I want to point out that a fusor won't produce very large amounts of gamma radiation. The only reaction producing this is the very rare D+D = 4He + g reaction, which happens in such low quantities compared to the neutron-producing reactions that it is pretty negligible, so it'd be very hard to distinguish from the relatively huge amount of neutron radiation. Also, I assume you want to produce antimatter by pair production. An easier way to produce positron anihilations is to use something like Potassium-40, although you'd need a spectrometer to pick up the annihilation 511 keV gamma photons from safe amounts of that.

Have you considered building a neutron detector instead of the cloud chamber? I could be wrong on this but I think that the x-rays from the fusor HV would interfere with any visual detection the cloud chamber could give.
Arvin Singh

Post by Arvin Singh »

Thanks, and I was wondering how much voltage I will need for the fusor and where type it has to be.
P.S. There is no Ari.
Grigory_Heaton

Post by Grigory_Heaton »

There is no definitive voltage for fusion. Voltage determines maximum particle energy which determines the cross section (probability) of the fusion reaction occurring. All of this is in the FAQs.

Return to “Please Introduce Yourself”