Hi

Please take a moment to introduce yourself in this forum and tell us about your interest. You must use your full real name. We do not allow the used of "handles" and pseudonyms on this site.
Pim Muller

Hi

Post by Pim Muller »

Hello everyone, my name is Pim Muller, I am a high school student (17) from Belgium and I am currently experimenting on a fusor in the Forschungszentrum in Julich.

Now I'm not sure if this should be part of the introduction but I will briefly explain what it is that we're trying to do and attach some pictures in order to give a general idea.

In essence we are using a languir probe to measure the plasma characteristics from which we can get the floating potential, plasma potential and the ion-electron saturation current. From these values it would be possible to calculate electron temperature and density which in turn can be used as examples to discuss the lawson criterion in fuction of IEC and estimate the fusion rate. We would like to compare the estimated fusion rate, and thus neutron flux to the neutron flux we will be trying to measure.

Currently we are using a variable DC power supply which goes up to 20kV 2.5A and have a vacuum pump which on a good day gives us a baseline pressure of 1E-6 torr.

We are running into some issues however but I'll explain those in the boards.

Thanks and I look forward working with all of you.
Attachments
20170228_090445.jpg
20170228_090421.jpg
20170228_105414.jpg
Dennis P Brown

Re: Hi

Post by Dennis P Brown »

That is an extremely good experiment and outstanding approach! That is real science and I hope you (!) post here about both your progress and experimental results as they are obtained!
Last edited by Dennis P Brown on Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Welcome! I second Dennis' observation. Please keep us informed and in the loop on your work. It looks as if you are off to a good start.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Jeroen Vriesman

Post by Jeroen Vriesman »

Interesting!

I would like to know more about your Langmuir probe, making one is on my todo list.

It seems you have a long cf bellows between your chamber and your pump (if I'm correct, I cannot see al sides on the pictures), that might explain "E-6 on a good day".
Did you do bake-out?
I've mounted 2kW of halogen lamps (with ordinary light dimmers) in my chamber, and it's a very efficient way to do a bake-out. The lamp holder is make with quartz glass and macor.
Attachments
halogen_2kW_operational.jpeg
halogen_2kW.jpeg
Jonathan Schilling

Post by Jonathan Schilling »

Hey Pim,

welcome to fusor.net from Kiel :-)
Are you planning to study physics and then move into the field of fusion?
Regarding Langmuir probes, which is sort of my current focus in the lab, do you know the following paper:
http://www.sandiego.edu/~severn/langmui ... s_amjp.pdf (R. L. Merlino, Am. J. Phys. 75 (12), 2007) ?
I am looking foward to read more about the progress of your experiment ;-)

@Jeroen:
That is for sure a nice bakeout solution, thanks for showing it to us :-)

Have a nice evening,
Jonathan
Pim Muller

Post by Pim Muller »

@Jonathan

Yes, I have read that paper on the languir probe, we are however takig a slightly different approach to determine the plasma potential, we are plotting the I-V measurements on a log scale (for I) and from the coefficient of the slope of the ion-electron current region we get the electron temperature. From there on we can also get the electron density and plasma potential.

I am planning to study physics and will probably go into fusion research.

As for the languir probe, we do have a lot of issues with the outgassing and sadly enough we cannot get a stable vacuum even when baking the probe with a heating tape.

Return to “Please Introduce Yourself”