Hi

Please take a moment to introduce yourself in this forum and tell us about your interest. You must use your full real name. We do not allow the used of "handles" and pseudonyms on this site.
Cathryn Dunicliff

Hi

Post by Cathryn Dunicliff »

Hey,

My name is Cathryn Dunicliff and I'm in first-year sixth form in the UK (11th grade for those in the US). I love physics and engineering but haven't much delved into anything beyond the theoretical.
I'm currently preparing for an internship at CERN working in BE-RF-BR (beamline dynamics) and the first two synchrotrons in the LHC injection chain for protons and lead ions respectively.

I'm really interested in getting into building things. I do a lot of computer science so I'm interested in taking lots of measurements of EVERYTHING to create nice simulation software.
Also looking forward to learning from my many mistakes I will likely make along the way.

I've currently got a working vacuum chamber with a ROBINAIR 15501E (2-stage 3cfm) pump.
I'm not sure where to start, especially with getting into forums.

Regardless I will post any updates I make ^_^

- Cat
Andrew Robinson

Re: Hi

Post by Andrew Robinson »

Welcome to the forums Cat. I'm sure you will find your way as you continue to read. Just check out the FAQs in each section and use the new user chat area. Do some searches for CERN too. There are plenty of people on this forum that have primary or secondary affiliations to several national and/or international labs. Best of luck.
I can wire anything directly into anything! I'm the professor!
Werner Engel

Re: Hi

Post by Werner Engel »

Welcome from the European side of the world too!
You may start with getting familiar with vacuum. Try to measure vacuum and try to get an adjustable constant pressure inside the chamber.
This should take you some time and you will learn a lot!

Have fun!
Werner

Return to “Please Introduce Yourself”