Greetings from Oregon

Please take a moment to introduce yourself in this forum and tell us about your interest. You must use your full real name. We do not allow the used of "handles" and pseudonyms on this site.
Dennis P Brown

Re: Greetings from Oregon

Post by Dennis P Brown »

The issue is what power does that unit support? Yes, 20 kV can do it if the current at 18-20 kV is high enough (i.e. just because the unit is rated for 10 ma (power of 200 watts), that does not necessarily mean 10 ma at 20 kV but maybe 10 ma at 10 kV and 3 ma at 20 kV ...also,when working/running a fusor at lower range voltages like at 20 kV, higher power is needed than for one working at 30 kV. In the FAQ, Richard gives minimum power needed as well as viable voltages.)

For instance, I have a spare power supply; it is a 40 kV Glassman (negative voltage output, of course) but it is rated for only 5 ma (yes, could push it to 10 ma safely with the extra fan) but doubt it would give 10 ma above 30 kV. So, I don't bother with it but use my 32 kV, 30 ma x-former.

Do consider a small chamber with a high working pressure (30 microns; like a 4-way connector.) A recent poster got very high neutron counts with a similar 20 kV if I recall correctly.

Return to “Please Introduce Yourself”