Hello from Germany

Please take a moment to introduce yourself in this forum and tell us about your interest. You must use your full real name. We do not allow the used of "handles" and pseudonyms on this site.
David Schmelter

Hello from Germany

Post by David Schmelter »

Hello everyone,

My name is David, and I am generally interested in nuclear fusion for a longer time period already. Some months ago I stumbled across an instructables report on a homemade fusion reactor. However, at that time I didn't believe I could build one by myself. Then just a week ago, I found your community via YouTube and well - I guess I have another project to start :-)

Some more background on myself: I am in my mid thirties and I'm working as a research associate (focus on software engineering) at a German Fraunhofer institute that is conducting applied research in the area of mechatronic engineering. As a hobby, I am interested in building all kinds of stuff, motto: the journey is the reward. Recent projects are the development of my own SLA 3D printer as well as a DIY guitar tube amplifier.

So basically I just started investigating all the FAQs with a certain focus on appropriate HV power supplies. I expect it will take me some time to start sourcing fusor components or even actually building a demo fusor - probably at least six months, also because of my job. It would be interesting to know if there are crazy German fellows around for fusor discussions, especially in the Paderborn/Bielefeld area? Would be nice to see a (demo) fusor in real life :-)

I guess this will be a loooong running project :-)

Regards,
David
Werner Engel

Re: Hello from Germany

Post by Werner Engel »

Hi David!

Willkommen!

Unfortunatly I'm not a "crazy German guy" - only Austrian ;-)
And if you like, we can have a discussion via skype - to give you a short overview about the different challenges you are going to face.
In Europe some things a easier to get (Deuterium) and some are more difficult (Glassmans) ...

BR,
Werner
Nnnnnnn

Post by Nnnnnnn »

Werner could you explain why Deuterium is easier to get in Europe? Do you just mean heavy water or a bottle of deuterium gas? The latter seems like it would be illegal due to the explosion hazard in case of a leak.
Werner Engel

Post by Werner Engel »

It was very easy. I sent an email to LINDE asking for a MINICAN Deuterium.
They sent me an offer - and orderd it. A few days later it arrived in my Office.

Return to “Please Introduce Yourself”