John Francis from France

Please take a moment to introduce yourself in this forum and tell us about your interest. You must use your full real name. We do not allow the used of "handles" and pseudonyms on this site.
John Francis

John Francis from France

Post by John Francis »

Hi . I am an artist currently playing around with light. I found your site while doing a search on power supplies for neon and fluorescent tubes.
I wanted to know if I could get a neon tube to light using a fluorescent light transformer........Have not been able to find an answer ALTHOUGH
I did find a youtube video of someone lighting fluorescent tubes with a transformer for neon!

So!Can I get a neon tube to light using a fluorescent light transformer???
Whether it works properly or not is not an issue as long as it won't start a fire or explode
Thanks in advance for any info!
I would post an image of what I am doing but img dose not want to work
John
Richard Hull

Re: John Francis from France

Post by Richard Hull »

No, you will need a formal neon sign transformer.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
John Francis

Post by John Francis »

Thanks Richard. How come the neon transformer works for fluorescent light?

I am getting interested in anything that glows in a glass tube
ian_krase

Post by ian_krase »

There are two common ways of igniting a plasma: putting a ton of voltage into it (neon signs, Cold Cathode fluorescent), and using a glowing hot light bulb filament to thermionically emit electrons, which will ignite the plasma (most fluorescent bulbs).

The voltage to keep a discharge running is much lower than voltage to start it. (100-600V versus 5kV and up)

If you connect a fluorescent tube to a NST, then you just use the filaments at the ends like ordinary cold cathodes.
Andrew Robinson

Post by Andrew Robinson »

Guys, please remember, this is a "Introduce yourself" sub-forum. John, I recognize that you seem to only be here to get some HV assistance and that's fine. I have no doubt everyone (myself included) will be happy to assist, but please still follow the rules. Make your formal introduction here, then spend some time reading the HV sub-forum as you will get lots of your questions answered there. Finally, if you still are not able to find something helpful, please post your questions in the HV sub-forum. This is not the place for extended discussion. Cheers!
I can wire anything directly into anything! I'm the professor!

Return to “Please Introduce Yourself”