Greetings form the North!

Please take a moment to introduce yourself in this forum and tell us about your interest. You must use your full real name. We do not allow the used of "handles" and pseudonyms on this site.
Michael Nelson

Greetings form the North!

Post by Michael Nelson »

Hello,

My name is Michael Nelson. I am going into the senior year of my Applied Physics degree this next year. A quick background of me is that I go to school in Minnesota (St. John's University). I always reserved an awe for the power of nuclear energy, but never expected a project to build a fusor to be feasible. I began to look for topics for my senior project this last year and I stumbled onto your site. My interests lie in electrical engineering and mechanics.

For my senior research I was hoping to build a fusor. I have circuitry experience, which I hope will help me when it comes to building a power supply for my project. Through Army ROTC, I have had an opportunity to work at a couple serious research institutions (MITLL and NVESD), but I still have no lab experience in the area of nuclear physics. I have read through the forums, and as of now it seems that the resources at my university should provide me adequate vacuum systems, but I believe the power source will be a challenge.

I am excited to join this collaborative community, and I hope to develop my knowledge in nuclear physics through this project!

Michael Nelson
Dennis P Brown

Re: Greetings form the North!

Post by Dennis P Brown »

Welcome and good luck.

I would expect that there are power supplies that are more than powerful enough that are being used/available at the University - check with the Physics Dept. An X-ray sources power supply (for experiments) could be available; often, unused equipment is sitting around that could also be useful. Possibly a neutron detector (not very likely, through) but a scintillation (for gamma/x-rays) counter and/or a Geiger counter should be available. Finally, it is possible they have a lecture bottle of deuterium.

Suggest you discus with the Chairman at the Physics Dept. your desire for building a fusor and they might be willing to help with available equipment.
Michael Nelson

Re: Greetings form the North!

Post by Michael Nelson »

Thanks for the advice, I will need it haha! I have been in some talks with my professors, just waiting to get to campus and see what equipment there is on hand.

Return to “Please Introduce Yourself”